Chapter VII - The Renegade

Timeline: April 2013

Word Count: 2.4k

TW: Idk how to explain it but literally the entire chapter is an allegory for religious trauma and homophobia

Nobody had ever warned Hypno that being gifted was a curse. He'd read countless stories about children like him; the special, chosen child who's magic could save the world or defeat a great evil. But he'd never asked to be one of them. In fact, he'd liked his mundane life as it was, predictable yet full of opportunity. He could do whatever he wanted with it.

But, when you have a gift as rare and precious as magic, those opportunities all suddenly become very limited. His parents had explained it all to him as soon as he was old enough to listen, that magic was dangerous, and how they would ensure it was taken away and controlled before it could hurt anyone. Of course, being a child with limited control over his own power, Hypno had no say in the matter.

He'd been sent away as soon as he was old enough to have his magic properly tamed under the guidance of other ex-spellcasters. Not once was he asked if he actually wanted to go, and his parents didn't even bother to see him off at the train station. They'd gone straight into town, bragging about how they'd 'saved their child from the dangers of magic' to anyone who'd listen, all while said child was left alone and scared. They truly believed they were doing the right thing, too lost in their prejudices to see how hurt Hypno was by all of it.

Things had only worsened once he'd arrived. Hypno had been given a long and tedious lecture on the dangers of magic, and as if that wasn't harsh enough, a single golden cuff was locked onto his wrist, forbidding him from using it. That was the worst part, having his magic restricted and trapped behind that cuff, as if a part of him had been forcefully ripped away against his will.

"A child has no control over their magic." He'd been told. "It's wild, and dangerous when left untamed. Until you're old enough to have it taken away, the cuff will help keep you under control."

Each night he would spend countless hours trying to remove it, tugging and hitting and clawing at it until his wrist was bleeding and he could barely breathe through his tears. It hurt him, as if it kept him trapped behind an invisible barrier and unable to break free. Yet it was still better than the impending alternative, the one that would permanently lock away his magic as soon as he was old enough to have it safely done to him.

Once again, Hypno didn't have a choice. He never did. Not when he'd been 'cursed' with this magic, not when he'd been sent away, not when he'd been cuffed and restricted, and certainly not with this stupid 'ceremony' that was bound to do more harm than good. He'd always been called quiet, gifted, golden, perfect... and he hated it. His silent obedience came from fear, not a will to comply with the rules of this horrible place or his parents.

He was determined to break free of it all someday, but would he ever bring himself to rebel against the same adults who'd controlled his entire life with an iron grip? Maybe he'd stay as he was forever, the quiet child who always did exactly what he was told.

"As you may already be aware, this world is divided between the three planetary dimensions. The Nether, the End, and the Overworld, where we reside. Each has its own large, corresponding celestial body, or what is commonly referred to as a 'main world', but many smaller worlds occupy the vast space around these 'main worlds'. Smaller worlds can only be created and accessed by those granted administrative powers, and we call these private worlds...?"