Chapter IX - The Graveskeeper

Timeline: July 2013

Word Count ~ 4.5k (send help)

Xisuma was beginning to wonder whether or not this entire idea had been a mistake. As soon as the group had laid eyes on the enormous, palace-esque building that the Higher Admins called their home, it soon came to their attention that none of them belonged in a place like this.

Nearly everyone stared at them, almost in disgust, as if the unkempt, rugged group might leave a stain on the pristine floors of smooth white stone. It didn't help matters that a giant glass dome lay in place of the ceiling, forcing Mumbo to keep his scrappy looking parasol up whilst indoors, as if the group didn't look strange enough already.

They had been referred to an Admin, who'd run into some kind of issue that hadn't been disclosed to them, and had then had them referred to a Higher Admin, who encountered the same issue and in turn referred them to a multitude of different officials who also had no idea what to do. Yet somehow, all of this ended with them in the hands of an overworked young Admin by the name of Gnembon. 

Apparently the problem had been large enough to warrant the attention of several Higher Admins and other officials, but for some reason, it was considered unimportant enough to be carelessly offloaded onto a seemingly exhausted Admin. Xisuma still didn't even know what the problem was, but judging by the alarm on Gnembon's face when he'd read through their individual files, it certainly wasn't going to be simple.

And that's how they'd ended up here, crammed together on a bench outside of Gnembon's equally crammed office, awaiting an explanation as to why a 15 minute background check had taken 4 and a half hours.

Xisuma wasn't even aware of how much his leg was bouncing, until TFC placed a gentle hand on his knee and glanced over at him. "Calm down, okay? You'll do yourself more harm than good if you keep shaking like that."

"I can't help it, I'm worried that I might have ruined our chance before we even got it." Xisuma admitted. "I don't even know what's going on."

"So how is it your fault if you don't know what's happening?" BDubs asked. "Until we actually know what the problem is, I don't think you should try and blame yourself."

Xisuma was about to try and argue, but was interrupted by the door opening beside him. He glanced up at Gnembon, who appeared to be almost amused by something. "You guys can come in now, I have good news and bad news."

Xisuma's heart sank a little as the group awkwardly shuffled into the tiny office that was covered in scattered papers and hastily scribbled notes. On the computer screen, Xisuma could see that he had records of each of them that had seemingly been thoroughly searched and investigated. The chaotic state of the room perfectly reflected their current situation; an absolute mess in the middle of an otherwise perfect place.

"Before we get into the technical side of things, you should have been given an explanation of the problems a very long time ago. Essentially, the 7 of you have one of the most complicated legal situations we've ever seen, and nobody knows where that places you in terms of qualifying for server administration."

"Complicated?" Xisuma repeated. "How so?"

"Well, the main issue arose when we found out that Xisuma, Hypno, False, Mumbo and TFC have been missing and were assumed dead. Things got worse when we found out that Hypno and Mumbo are minors with no legal guardians, BDubs is counted as a mob and is therefore impossible to do a background check on, Joe just doesn't exist in our databases and keeps crashing the system whenever we try to scan them... and if you don't mind, Xisuma, there's something I'd like to talk to you about in private."