Chapter 6

We reached my office and I entered, grabbing a stack of NDAs and walking back out, gesturing for them to follow me once more. I was in my work mode, and held my head high.

When we reached the conference room, I sat at the head of the table, my parents to my right and my friends to my left. Everyone else sat down in the other seats.

"Please sign the forms in front of you," I said. "By signing, you are agreeing to never speak of anything revealed to you inside this building until it becomes public information. If you do, there will be severe consequences. Also, you will all be receiving full ride scholarships to the college of your choice, so long as this remains a secret."

"You all better keep quiet!" Cindy threatened, glaring at Flash specifically. "If I lose this scholarship because of any of you, you will wish that you were dead."

They all nodded hurriedly, unused to seeing the usually soft-spoken girl behave like that. They quickly read and signed the forms before passing them back to me. I flipped through them and found them all to be in order. I smiled and set them aside.

"I will be taking questions now, though I reserve the right to refrain from answering. Please raise your hand and I will call on you in due time," I said professionally, as Pepper had taught me in case of a PR incident.

Hands shot up, including those of my friends.

"Mrs. Tuss." I called on her first because she was always kind to me and made it clear she had believed my internship and had defended me from Flash.

"How are you the son of both Mr. Barnes and Ms. Romanov?" she asked. "From what I understand, they had never met before joining the Avengers."

I glanced at my parents and they nodded, giving me permission to share their stories. "I was a joint project of Hydra and the Red Room. My father was one of Hydra's top assets and my mother was a talented trainee in the Red Room. They decided to make a genetically modified child that they would raise as a weapon by using two of their best assets. After my birth, my mother was sterilized. Next question. Yes, Abe?"

"Do you have any enhanced abilities, being genetically modified?" he asked. "Sorry if that's insensitive."

I waved my hand dismissively. "It's fine. At the time of my birth, I did not, no. Hence why I was sent to an orphanage. However, my enhanced DNA was triggered a few years ago when I was bit by a radioactive spider and now I do, yes."

"What are they?" Abe asked as a continuation to his previous question.

"I have enhanced strength, speed, senses, flexibility, healing, and endurance. I have a sixth sense. I can stick to any surface and I can make webs," I said, letting them put the pieces together. "Downsides are my increased metabolism, meaning I have to eat three times as much as the rest of you to not starve to death, pain meds don't do shit, and sensory overloads.

"How does that all work?" Cindy asked when I called on her.

"I'm not sure," I said stiffly. "I don't really like being experimented on."

She apologized, but I waved her off.

"Wait, you're Spider-Man?" Flash asked, his face paling drastically. Guess it finally clicked for him. Everyone else had figured it out quickly and took the news in stride.

"Yes, Flash, I am. Now, next time, please wait your turn to speak. Sally."

"Do you live with the Avengers?"

"No. I live in an apartment with my parents when I am not staying here at the tower. Most of the Avengers live in the compound."

"What happened to May?" Betty asked. She had met May a couple of times and they had gotten along great.

"She's fine. She's traveling the world with her boyfriend. She always wanted to travel," I said, smiling at her.

"She left you? That doesn't seem like May," Ned muttered, not having been made aware of this. Oops.

"Oh, I know she loves me, but I was holding her back from living life. I told her to go, and Stark is currently paying for her travels. He owed me for Homecoming."

"What happened during Homecoming that made him owe you?" Dad asked dangerously.

"He took my suit and didn't communicate to let me know that he had already taken care of the problems that I told him about," I said, trying to minimize the problem. "It wasn't that bad."

"Wasn't that bad?" Ned repeated incredulously. "Peter, you had a damn warehouse collapse on you!"

Mom and Dad stood suddenly. "Don't worry, Pete," Dad said. "We won't kill him." 

---------------------------------

Thoughts?