Chapter 31

I walked with Darren through the halls, smiling at everyone we passed. "Ren, please schedule a meeting with my team."

"Yes, Sir," he said, scheduling the meeting. Over the past five years, he had grown to be a handsome young man and had several girls swooning when he attended galas and functions with me. He had completed his schooling and was now fully focused on his job. "I've scheduled it a half hour from now."

"Thank you."

"Of course."

I smiled. "What else is on the schedule for today?"

"Currently, I am to make sure you eat breakfast in the cafeteria before the meeting you just scheduled. After the meeting, Mr. Keener has requested two hours of your time."

"Why did you agree to that, Ren? I've still got loads of paperwork to do."

He stared at me sternly. "You need to take a break from work and spend time with your boyfriend. You have been working nonstop for a week."

I sighed and nodded. "Very well. Set aside a couple hours tomorrow for paperwork."

He nodded with a small smile at getting his way.

We made it to the cafeteria and got our food before sitting down. "What's after my break?" I asked.

"You need to check in with your interns. Then we have tryouts for the SI Academic Decathlon team."

After MJ had gone off to college, Darren had taken over the position of team leader. After half the team graduated, we needed to fill in the empty slots. Home schooled, private schooled, and public schooled students were coming from all across the country to try out for the team. It was something that was worth moving for, as the team had grown famous for their winning streak under my tutelage.

"Sounds good," I said.

After we finished eating, we made our way to the conference room, where everyone was waiting.

Once there, Darren and I sat in across from the members of my team: Miles Morales and Wade Wilson. "We have a situation," I said.

I could see their frowns through their masks. "What?" Miles asked.

I sighed. "This." Right as I spoke, a portal opened next to me and Gwen Stacy stepped out, suit and mask on. She was carrying a duffle bag

"Whoa," Ren breathed.

"She came to me while I was on patrol," I explained.

She lowered her hood and took off her mask, revealing tearstained eyes. "You don't mind if I crash here, do you?" she asked Miles.

He pulled her in for a hug. "Of course not," he said. "I've missed you. How did you even get here?"

She smiled a little. "I discovered another power," she said. "I must have gotten it after our last encounter. I can travel dimensions."

"Cool, cool," Miles said, still processing the information. "Mind if I study that later?"

She nodded.

"Where are you staying?"

"Here," I answered for her. "She'll be staying in the guest room here."

They caught up for a bit and Wade got to know her before Miles realized that he was going to be in trouble if he missed his chemistry class again and he was already cutting it close.

As he ran out the door, I called, "Don't be late to practice!"

As soon as he was gone, Wade's personality flipped. "You hurt him, and I'll kill you," he said threateningly. Miles was like a younger brother to both of him, being fourteen with Wade being seventeen, while I was more of a mentor and father figure, being twenty two. I had fostered Wade for two years now, as he had no one left to live with.

She looked slightly nervous, but just nodded.

"Mr. Parker, it's time for you to get ready to go with Mr. Keener," Ren reminded me.

I sighed heavily and stood. "Wade, no killing or you're grounded. Take Ms. Stacy to her room and then you may go on patrol until dinner."

He nodded, leading her away.

I stood and made my way to my living area, where I changed into a nice outfit that was fit for a date.

------------------------------------

Thoughts?