Chapter 24

I woke up, frantically searching for Loki, to find him holding me close, murmuring comforting words in my ear. I calmed almost immediately.

"Did I wake you up?" I asked worriedly.

He shrugged. "It's fine, I wasn't sleeping well anyway. You didn't wake Ren or Shuri, in case you were wondering. Do you want to talk about it?"

"It felt so real, Loki. I was frozen in place and Skip was there and I couldn't do anything. Then I saw him killing you. He beat you to death, and it hurt so much to watch," I cried.

His arms tightened around me. "Who is Skip?" he asked quietly.

I froze. I had never told anyone about Skip before. "Uh, um, no one?" I tried, but the tears that fell from my eyes as I remembered what he did to me said otherwise.

Loki didn't push. "I'm the god of lies, Brother. You cannot lie to me. However, I shall wait until you are ready to talk about it," he said.

I smiled brokenly at him. "Thank you," I said, snuggling closer to him, using the closeness to remind me that he was alive and the dream wasn't real.

We didn't fall asleep that night, but he comforted me until I was able to close my eyes without seeing Skip.

I stood up at 5:00. "Time to get ready for the day," I grumbled. I took a shower and scrubbed my skin raw, trying to erase the feeling of Skip's hands on my skin.

When I got out and dressed in a comfortable pair of jeans and a plain white shirt with a jean jacket, I left my hair unstyled and fluffy. Skip said I had looked good with my hair done and all dressed up, and I couldn't have any reminders of him if I was going to make it through the day. Professionalism be damned.

Loki didn't question it but Shuri did.

"What's wrong?" Shuri asked as soon as she entered the kitchen to find me and Harley making eggs and toast and bacon.

"Nothing."

"Your hair and clothes say differently."

"I don't want to talk about it," I mumbled, sliding her a plate of food.

"Okay, but you need to eat something. Come on, sit with me."

I didn't have an appetite and so I shook my head. "Not this morning, Shuri. I'll just throw it up again."

She frowned but let it drop. Harley just sighed sadly and wrapped his arms around me from behind. I stiffened and stepped away, giving him an apologetic look. "I love you," I whispered, "but I can't do contact today. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, darlin'. I'll be here for you if you need anything."

"Good morning!" Ren chirped as he grabbed some food from the stove. "Why aren't you eating, Peter?"

"I can't today, Kid. I don't really want to talk about it." Ever. For the rest of my life. And my afterlife.

He shrugged and nodded, respecting that. He sat down across from me and ate happily. I watched him sadly, remembering when I was his age. He reminded me of myself and I could only hope that he would never have to go through what I did.

While he was eating, I checked the schedule for the day. "Hey, Ren, I'm gonna show you how to reschedule meetings and such. I need a day off today," I said, watching his eyes light up at the thought of learning something new. I smiled a small smile and turned to my boyfriend. "Harley, remember that you have to meet with Charles at least once a week, meaning today, but I would prefer more often."

He pouted but caved at my disapproving look. "Alright, but can I have more cuddle time to make up for it?"

I chuckled and nodded. "More cuddle time as long as you meet with him whenever he needs you to, I promise."

He fist pumped and Ren and I got to work. First I showed him how to reschedule a meeting and had him do that for the board meeting that was scheduled. Then, I went to my office and finished up my paperwork, showing Ren how to do some of the easier stuff before letting him do that while I focused on the more complicated stuff.

Finally, we visited the Club and checked out what they were working on. Loki was in there as well, and Ren quickly walked over to him, grinning when Loki handed him a small pouch.

"Thanks, Loki!" he chirped. He tucked the pouch into his pocket and the two quickly returned to their stabbing lessons.

I checked in with the Club, smiling as Connor presented me with the finished version of the computer. Samuel had finished his filter and was now designing a new type of weapon for Mom, which was epic.

After they had shown me their projects, I had to leave for a head meeting, which I didn't reschedule, seeing as they were absolutely necessary and not at all boring and irritating like the others. I had threatened Harley to be sure he'd be there.

"Eat," Ren demanded as we walked there, handing me a protein bar. "I know you won't eat an actual meal, but you have to eat at least this."

I sighed and ate the bar, feeling my stomach churn slightly but not enough that I was in danger of puking. "Thank you, Ren. You ready for this meeting?"

He nodded and readied his StarkPad. "Of course, Mr. Parker."

We walked in and I gained several weird glances at the lack of the professional appearance I usually went with. "Good afternoon, everyone," I greeted with a fake smile, noticing that my boyfriend wasn't in his chair. "Shall we get started?"

Fifteen minutes into the meeting, Harley walked in, looking amazing in his suit and almost making me blush, but my disappointment overpowered it. "Glad you could join us, Mr. Keener," I said, making him wince at my tone.

"Sorry," he mumbled. I realized he probably got stopped and interrogated by Shuri, if the sad look in his eyes was anything to go by.

I just sighed and gestured to his seat. "Sit down, Harls. Next time, tell Shuri that I will kill her if she makes you late again."

Everyone chuckled as Harley nodded. He sat next to Charles.

"Okay, who would like to present next?" I asked.

--------------------------------

Thoughts?