Chapter 30

I quickly walked to my room, only to find that Harley came with me. "You have the same restrictions as Ren," he said. "He could be after you too."

I sobbed. "I know he's after me, Harls. He fixated on me all those years ago and now he's back. He did his research. Chose someone smart in my classes. Someone so much like me. He's playing with my head, and he's winning."

"We're not going to let him hurt you," he promised.

"You don't understand, Harls. He knows how close we are. He knows I'll do anything for Ren."

He wrapped me in his arms. "Ren will be protected by at least one trained killer 24/7," he assured me. "He will never get to him."

I took a deep breath and nodded. "You're right. He won't get Ren."

He smiled at me and kissed the top of my head. "Come on, let's go work in the labs."

I nodded and we walked to the labs to find the team chatting happily, not noticing us walk in. We quickly slipped into my private lab and began to work on the AI I was coding while Harley worked on his own stuff. Well, I tried to work. I kept thinking about Ren.

"Friday, where is Darren?" I asked finally.

"Mr. Brady is currently with your mother and father on your floor."

I was already on my way to the elevator, Harley scrambling to catch up. "Wait! Peter, you can't be alone!" he called as I walked through the team's lab.

"Why not?" Ellie challenged.

"Someone is after me through Ren," I explained, still walking towards the elevator. "That's all I'm saying on the matter."

Harley just missed the elevator and I heard him shout in frustration. The elevator took me up to where Ren was with Mom and Dad. I felt slightly bad for leaving Harley, but I was more anxious and worried for Ren's safety.

When I got there, I saw Ren wrapped in a blanket as he sat in between my parents on the couch, watching a show.

I sighed in relief, which drew their attention to me.

"Where's Harley? He's supposed to stay with you," Mom said.

I ignored the question. "Where is Loki?"

"Working," Dad answered. "Skip won't be sane much longer."

I frowned. "But where is she?"

When neither of my parents answered, I looked to Ren for the answer. He always told me the truth.

He bit his lip but caved as soon as he made eye contact. "She went to my apartment. Said that the close proximity would help her work faster."

I paled as flashes from my nightmares crossed my mind. I left the room, pulling out my phone and dialing her number.

"Yes, Pyotr?"

"Get back here now," I demanded.

I could practically hear the frown in her voice as she said, "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong?" I repeated incredulously. "Loki, do you not remember what I told you after the first nightmare you witnessed?"

"You said that Skip had beat me to..." she trailed off. "Oh."

"I don't care if it takes longer; I don't want you anywhere near him," I said, keeping my voice steady.

"I'm coming," she said softly.

A moment after she had hung up, she appeared by my side. I looked her over for any injuries. She had none. I sighed in relief.

"I'm fine," she assured me, pulling me into a warm embrace.

I hugged her back tightly. "I'm sorry for overreacting," I murmured.

"You weren't," she said, sitting against the wall, still holding me tightly. "I'm sorry for not thinking before I went."

I snuggled into her. "How far did you get?"

She smirked. "Halfway. He'll be fully insane by the end of the week. They'll claim it was a psychotic break."

I smiled contentedly at the thought.

Sure enough, by the end of the week, it was all over the news that Steven Westcott had been taken to an insane asylum after a psychotic break. He was awaiting trial for child molestation and rape.

-----------------------------

Thoughts?