Chapter 17

I woke up with newfound energy. Why didn't I do this more often? I changed into a suit and bounded to my kitchen to see Darren also dressed in a suit and Shuri making pancakes.

"Hey, Kid," I greeted. "What's on the schedule?" I had a vague idea of two meetings and some other business stuff, but I didn't check yet because I knew Darren enjoyed feeling useful rather than just following me like a shadow usually does. He did want to be an assistant after all.

"A meeting with the heads at 9:00 to determine staffing and budgeting corrections. That might take a couple of hours. Then, at 12:30 you are scheduled to meet with the president, though he did not specify the purpose. At 1:30 you have an hour set aside to work on paperwork. A few reminders to hire more employees, scold Ms. Potts and Dr. Stark for their lack of communication, have your father try his new arm, help the interns settle in, fire a few incompetent employees, and contact my mother for something that you didn't say. Also, I am to remind you to eat, hydrate, and take mental breaks," he listed, looking at the tablet screen with wide eyes.

I hummed. "Huh, looks like it's going to be a busy day today. Rude of the president to not give a reason for his visit. Shuri, pass me a plate please." She slid over a large stack of pancakes, the syrup bottle, and eating utensils. I got a glass of milk and scarfed down my food. I finished and cleared my place, wiping down the table and washing my hands and face. "Shuri, time please."

"6:13."

Darren was still staring at me with wide eyes. "You can do all that in one day?" he asked.

I nodded and I could see his eyes sparkle with amazement. "Yeah, but it doesn't leave me much time for other stuff. Hence why I'm withdrawing from school. Friday, do you know what the president wants?"

"One of Ms. Potts's assistants answered the phone, Boss. He did not give a reasoning, but she didn't know your policy and scheduled the meeting for you."

I sighed. "Darren, please remind me to put that in the training manual. No meetings scheduled without a purpose given."

He grinned and made the note before finishing his satirical essay, which he began the day before. "Okay, I've completed Creative Writing, English, and Government," he said cheerfully. "I should be able to finish Math, Chemistry, Physics, and Money Management by tomorrow."

I blinked in surprise. "Kid, you had one day," I said.

"Well, I had seven hours yesterday to work and an hour this morning."

I smiled. He worked at my speed. "Come on, we've got to meet up with the crew," I said, grabbing my briefcase. "I'm not going to keep calling them interns. They need a fun group name," I decided. "Shuri, I'll text you when I get some free time!" I called as the elevator doors closed.

She didn't respond, but I knew she heard me.

We went down to the lobby when Friday informed me that they were having difficulty with security. I stepped out of the elevator with Darren to find that they each were being held by a different security guard and being forcefully pushed towards the exit.

"What," I asked sternly, "is going on here?"

They all turned to face me, the interns' faces filling with relief while the guards looked a bit embarrassed. "So sorry for bothering you, Sir. These five were claiming to live here. We were just escorting them out."

"Release them," I said, gesturing with my hand. The guards looked surprised but did as I asked. I calmly walked over to them and said, "Fri, scan for injuries."

After a moment, Friday responded. "It appears that Ms. Bishop has a bruised arm, though the rest appear to be unscathed."

I sighed in relief and turned on the guards. "These five do indeed live here from now on and are members of my personal staff. They are to be treated with respect. If I ever hear of any one of you bothering them again, and I will hear about it, you will be looking for a new job. Am I understood?"

They nodded. "Yes, Sir."

"Good. Now, thank you for doing your jobs. Next time, however, have Friday verify their claims. You are dismissed." I turned to the interns as the guards left. "Come on, I've got approximately two hours to help you guys settle in before my first meeting."

They smiled and we helped them load their boxes and suitcases onto the service elevator. We began unpacking the boxes for the living room and kitchen, leaving their bedrooms to be unpacked by them. I had them write down a list of anything else they might need or want that the company could provide.

"Thank you, Mr. Parker," Tim said as I got ready to leave for my meeting.

"You're welcome, Tim. You guys can call me Peter or Pyotr. If we're going to be working together, then I'd prefer that we be on more casual terms."

They all nodded and we said goodbye, leaving them to finish settling in while I attended the meeting.

Darren followed along, happily making reminders as things popped into my mind. "Oh! Remind me to ask Shuri to attend Stark's gala as my plus one," I said as we reached the conference room.

"Not Mr. Keener?" he asked.

I chuckled. "Nah, he's already invited. We have a system. We both choose a friend to ask, rather than each other. Tony hates it, but can't do anything about it."

He smiled as well and we entered the room.

--------------------------------------

Thoughts?