Chapter 9

I awoke in the morning to find Darren up and writing again. "Good morning," I said pleasantly.

"Good morning!" he chirped back.

I quickly got ready for the day, ignoring Darren's concerned gaze when he saw the bruises on my torso. I changed into the business suit that Pepper had undoubtedly left for me, considering I had meetings that day. A smaller sized suit was laid next to it. "Hey, Darren, why don't you get changed," I suggested, holding out the suit for him.

His jaw dropped. "That's for me?" I could see why he was surprised. The suit was obviously tailored to his specific measurements and was probably worth more than everything in the room.

"Yup. You've got to look the part of an assistant if you're going to shadow me. Don't worry, you won't have to wear a suit all the time," I answered with a small smirk.

He took the suit and changed before attempting to tame his wild hair. "Ugh! It's not working!" he complained.

I laughed and moved to help him. "Here. I've got the same problem. Watch how I do it." I quickly styled my hair neatly. "Now you try."

He copied my actions and smiled victoriously when it worked. "Thanks, Peter!"

I grabbed my briefcase and handed Darren a brand new, not yet released StarkPad which I had already set up for him with contacts, my calendar, and necessary information and apps. Then we walked out to find the rest of our class wearing simple clothes. Amber looked at me inquisitively and I waved her off. "I have a couple meetings this afternoon and Darren is coming along. Pep must have gotten his measurements from Friday and got a suit tailored for him."

She nodded and began to lead us through the VIP tour, which I mostly ignored. I was busy watching Darren shrink in on himself around our classmates. When we got to a stop on the tour, I pulled him aside. "What's wrong?"

He shrugged. "Everyone is so much older than me and it's scary."

I hummed. "Perhaps, but you are the one who gets to shadow me and meet Avengers. You are one of the smartest kids in the school. You are so much more than them, even if they are older. So, show them that you're proud of that. Be you, Kid, because someday you'll find that nobody gives a damn about the people who hide themselves. No one made history by playing by the rules. They made their own path and followed it until they were right where they wanted to be."

He smiled and stood straighter. "Thanks, Mr. Parker."

I smiled back and checked my watch. It was almost noon. "Come on, Kid. We've got a meeting to get to." I waved at Amber to let her know we were leaving and she nodded in acknowledgement.

When we got to the room where Pep, Harley, and Tony waited, I prepared myself to give a full, long-winded lecture.

"Why in God's name did you three think it would be a good idea to make a teenager CEO of one of the largest industries in the world?" I snapped as soon as I entered the room, Darren following closely behind me and watching with wide eyes as I began to berate the three. "Not only did you make me CEO, you did it without asking me or even telling me!"

I kept going for a while and Pepper looked properly chastised. "I apologize, Peter. I thought you had been asked before Tony brought it up with me."

I stared at her for a full minute before nodding. "Pepper, I believe you. You may leave if you wish."

She shook her head. "I think I'll stay. Amber will want to hear about this."

I rolled my eyes before turning to the two males who also looked thoroughly chastised, though they didn't have any excuses. "You two are in big trouble," I said sternly. "Harley, your cuddle privileges are revoked until further notice. Tony, you are locked out of your lab until all your paperwork has been completed and turned in to me."

He glared at me indignantly, saying, "It's my lab not yours!" like a child throwing a tantrum.

I rolled my eyes again as Harley pouted. "Friday, as CEO, I am placing Tony's lab on lockdown until further notice. Activate, Peter Knows Best Protocol. He is not to leave this floor until I say so."

"Protocol activated."

"Thank you, Fri. Now, Darren and I have to go meet with the board members and heads of departments. Have a good day." I walked out.

"You just scolded Iron Man for a half hour," Darren said in amazement.

I chuckled. "Oh, that was nothing compared to the lecture he received after he blew up Lab Ten."

We entered the conference room and I stared down a few of the ruder board members, daring them to say something about Darren. Only one of them did. "Is this company being run by kids now?" he scoffed.

I stared at him calmly. "Yes, actually. I am the CEO, and I am a minor, so I could be considered a kid by some. You, on the other hand, are on the edge of losing your job. I would watch what you say."

He scoffed again. "You have no just cause to dismiss me."

"Incorrect," I said, pulling out a thick file. "There have been many complaints from interns and other people that work under you regarding your behavior towards them. Funnily enough, they had been buried. I didn't want to do this here, Mr. Brown, but you have gotten on my last nerve. Please leave your report and badge on my desk and I will have security escort you out."

I pulled out the chair to the right of the head for Darren before sitting at the head. "Any other objections to my assistant being here?"

Everyone shook their heads and I smiled humorlessly. "Excellent. Now, Ms. Baker, please give your report." 

-----------------------------------

Thoughts?