CHAPTER-22

Nandini could not meet her friends, they just saw the baby and saw that Nandini was still sleeping, they said their goodbyes. Harshad stayed back, whereas Mahir did not want to leave and stayed back as well.

They were staying in the VIP suite in the hospital, the management made some space for Harshad and Mahir to stay along with Manik.

Most of the time Nandini spent sleeping, the baby kept waking in the middle keeping Manik harshad and Nandini awake.

The next day

The doctor came to check on the mother and the baby, Harshad left after meeting them one more time,  and Mahir stayed back with his parents not wanting to go to school.

Mahir spent most of his time staring at the baby, Manik had stepped out to complete his office work. Harshad accompanied Nandini till Manik came back.

Harshad kept asking Nandini if she was ok, or if she needed anything but Nandini always had a positive answer.

The baby and Mahir were having a staring competition, the baby had held Mahir's fingers and Mahir was displaying a beautiful smile of his which was quite rare for Harshad to see.

Seeing them nandini asked, "Mom said you were the same when I was born."

"I guess, we had the bond from a very young age."

Nandini nodded her head with a smile, "I miss Mom and Dad, I wish they were here to see her and guide me on how to take care of her. Will they ever forgive me? I regret not listening to them." with tears running her eyes.

Harshad wiped her tears, "They will forgive you, that day is not so far away."

Everything was going well and perfect for the couple, Manik realized how important Nandini and the baby had become a very important part of his and Mahir's life.

The moment Manik held the baby in his arms, he want to give her the world. Mahir had become very possessive towards the baby and Nandini. In short, he has become more vocal and expressive about where his happiness lies.

After 6 months.

The past 6 months were bliss for the Malhotra family. Nandini though inexperienced, Manik had been the one to take care of mahir, he was always there to guide her through what was needed and to be done.

Flashback-1(after 2 weeks to delivery)

Nandini was very tired and close to breaking down due to lack of sleep and energy. Upon that Mahir had his final exams coming around but he was not very interested in going to school and all he wanted to do was spend time with the baby.

That night when everybody was ready to sleep, Nandini thought that she will have a good sleep, but the baby had some other plans, around midnight the baby woke up, Nandini got up at once and went towards the baby cot to see the baby crying her eyes out. Carrying her in her arms, she sat on the bed, she started patting the baby. When the baby did not stop crying, she tried feeding her but no avail. She started walking from one corner to the other corner of the room. When Nandini kept walking the baby calmed down, and that is when Nandini noticed the other side was empty, looked like Manik was not home yet. He has been coming home pretty late for the last week. Nandini chuckled at the thought and went to put the baby to sleep.

The moment she put the baby in the cot, she started to cry again. Nandini panicked and held her again, but this time the baby had no stopping. It was the last string of her emotions, she started crying along with the baby.

That's how Manik found her and the baby in the middle of the night crying. Manik was shocked and did not know how to react at first but he pulled himself together and took the baby from Nandini. Nandini who had no idea when Manik came and was shocked to see him.

"Manik, when did you come?"

"Just now, give her to me Nandini and you go to sleep."

"No Manik, the moment I put her down she is crying."

"Have you tried feeding her?"

Nandini nodded and Manik took the baby in his arms and signaled Nandini to sit on the bed.

Manik started walking in the room carrying her and patting lightly on her back. He kept walking until the baby slept. He turned towards Nandini to see her sleeping while sitting. Manik put the baby in the center of the bed and went to make Nandini lie down. While doing so she woke

"Manik baby," asked Nandini sleepy

"Shh, sleep I will take care."

Nandini nodded and slept peacefully.

Manik put a pillow on the other side of the baby and went to change and retired within minutes. Tucking the blanket on Nandini, he started patting the baby and slowly drifted to sleep. Looked like the baby just wanted to sleep in between her parents.

The next day Nandini woke up refreshed and saw that Baby and Manik were sleeping Nandini turned to see the time and bolted awake because she was late. Usually, Manik was the one to send Mahir to school but since he is sleeping she felt the need to do so. She checked up on the baby one more time and went to send off Mahir to school.

Mahir was having his final exams and since it was the last one, he was pretty excited to go to school.

"All the Best Mahir, do well."

"Ok, I will see the baby before I leave." saying this he ran off to the room and Nandini was  waiting in the leaving room. It was a custom for Mahir to see his baby sister before leaving for school.

Soon he came rushing down and Nandini sent him off to school with the driver. Nandini saw the time, it was past Manik's office time, Nandini was having double thoughts on if she should wake him up or not.

Letting him sleep for some more time, Nandini came to the kitchen to give instructions to the chef on what to prepare for lunch. She hung around the kitchen for more time. Since it was the last day for Mahir, she decided to prepare his favorite.

One thing Nandini has observed about mahir is, he does not throw tantrums for eating food. No matter what was prepared he eats them while asking questions. She noticed that he likes dishes made from potatoes and chicken. Breakfast has to be the pancakes Manik prepares for him.

After instructing, Nandini moved to check on the duo. They were sleeping peacefully. Usually at this time baby used to wake up hungry but today was different. Seeing them sleeping she went to freshen up.

Nandini came out in 20 minutes, seeing the time she decided to wake up Manik thinking he will be late.

She went towards him, Manik was sleeping facing the baby, and she started waking him up,

"Manik, wake up."

manik stirs in his sleep, groggily rubbing his eyes. He turns to find Nandini standing by the bed, her long, wet hair cascading down her shoulders like a waterfall. He blinks, momentarily mesmerized by the sight.

"Manik, get up, you are getting late for work."

Manik was mesmerised by the sight in front of him, his hands went to her hair, "beautiful"

Nandini was stunned but controlled herself and shook him up again. Manik came back from his dreams and woke up to see Nandini in front of him.

"You are late, don't you have an office."

Manik sat up and shook his head, Nandini frowned seeing him.

"I took off."

Nandini smiled, "Of course, you need off, you have literally been working continuously. Take rest today."

"I am off for 6 months nandini."

Nandini was too stunned to speak and gave Manik a confused look. "What?"

Manik nodded, "I want to help you, but at the same time make sure I give enough time to mahir as well. So I thought why not take paternity leave."

Nandini was at a loss for words, but the cry of her baby brought her back. She rushed to her and Manik went to freshen up.

While feeding all she could think about was what Manik told her.

Happy Reading

Love.,

Nandini