Chapter 8: Pancakes and something new...

It was Friday morning, the birds had just started to chirp outside Wednesday's window waking her. She was hunched over her typewriter, keys sticking into the skin of her face. "I must have fallen asleep here..." She stretched her back, cracking a few joints on the way. She got up slowly and headed for the bedroom bathroom. She looked herself in the mirror and noticed she had key marks on her cheeks, she scowled at her reflection... "You are already becoming weak... pathetic..." She turned her back to the mirror, opening the shower, and letting the cold water flow, she hopped in the shower and let the water cascade over her, drowning away her thoughts...

Once she was out of the shower, she noticed it was only 6 am, she sighed and got dressed quickly. She left her room and was heading towards the stairs, when she passed Enid's room, she stopped in her tracks, listening to the snores coming from her roommate's room...She chuckled... "Sleepy puppy..." She whispered, smiling lightly. She continued and went downstairs. Apparently, everyone was still sleeping, she was thankful for this.  She walked into the kitchen and decided to make breakfast for everyone since she was already awake anyways.

Wednesday quietly gathered the necessary ingredients and tools she needed to make coffee and pancakes, her expression was calm and focused. She began by filling the coffee machine with dark, aromatic grounds, carefully measuring the perfect amount for a strong brew. The rich scent of freshly brewed coffee started to fill the air, creating an inviting atmosphere. As the coffee percolated, she moved on to the pancake batter.

Wednesday poured the measured flour into a mixing bowl. She added just the right amount of sugar, a dash of salt, and a pinch of her favorite secret ingredient, black cocoa powder, giving the pancakes a unique and slightly darker hue. With meticulous precision, she cracked the eggs into the bowl, skillfully whisking them into the mixture until it achieved a smooth consistency.

She let the batter rest, while she preheated a pan on the stove, the flames casting an eerie glow around her. She lightly coated the surface with butter, creating a sizzling sound as she ladled the batter onto the pan, forming perfect circles. The pancakes started to cook, their edges turning golden brown.

Wednesday's focus remained unwavering as she flips the pancakes with a flick of her wrist, the action precise and controlled. The aroma of warm pancakes filled the kitchen, blending with the scent of freshly brewed coffee.

Once the pancakes were cooked to perfection, she arranged them on a platter, creating a hauntingly beautiful stack. She garnished them with a drizzle of deep red berry syrup, the color contrasting against the pale pancakes. In her own unique way, she added a touch of dark elegance to the breakfast spread.

With everything prepared, she set the table, placing the stack of pancakes and steaming cups of coffee at the center of the table. Despite her usual stoic demeanor, there was a sense of satisfaction in her eyes as she took a step back to admire her work.

As she did so, a very sleepy Yoko, still in pajamas, tumbled into the kitchen, bumping softly into the kitchen counters. "Mornin..." she yawned. Shaking her head lightly waking her up a bit more. "...You...made breakfast?" Yoko asked, now fully awake.

"I did. I figured you would all be famished after...the night you probably had..." Wednesday deadpanned.

"Oh, yeah! We found Divina near the forest being dragged by one of our carnivore plants..." Yoko giggled, "She shouldn't have gone through the left door down the hall..." she added with a yawn.