Chapter 10: The Power of Music

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/57hyMz9yOckeydQsQkJObv?si=4a1238882221444d

Wednesday sat next to Enid, her back against the tree stump. Enid looked at her sideways and asked timidly "May I?" Wednesday looked at her and nodded. She slid down a bit and placed her head on Wednesday's shoulder, Wednesday flinched a bit getting used to the proximity, not hating it completely. She decided to push her own boundaries, moved her arm, and went to hold Enid's hand, interlocking their fingers and placing their joined hands in the middle of both their thighs. They sat like this for several minutes, in silence, just enjoying each other's company and shift in their friendship...

"Night is about to fall upon us...it is best if we head back to camp..." Wednesday announced, her voice softer than Enid had ever heard her.

"Yes, please. I don't want to be here when it's dark..." there was a tone of fear in Enid's voice.

Wednesday got up and offered Enid her hands to pull her up too. "Let us depart then...cariño..." She was testing the word, how it felt on her tongue and her heart. It felt...strange yet not unpleasant...it felt natural like she could use it to refer to Enid more frequently...

Enid looked at her questioning, "Cariño... I've heard your mother call you that sometimes..." she tilted her head sideways, "It's...it's a term of endearment, isn't it?" she innocently asked.

Wednesday's face twitched as she conjured a soft smile, a smile only reserved for Enid's eyes. "It is...it...means..." she looked down and sighed softly, "...darling..."

Enid's eyes went wide, her smile, delicate and sincere... "Darling..." She walked up to Wednesday, held her hand, and kissed her knuckles with tenderness. "Let's go..." she beamed a smile that warmed Wednesday's cold heart.

They walked back hand in hand, Enid skipping playfully and Wednesday in pure awe and admiration of the feelings she was trying to hold back. Once they reached the edge of the forest, Enid stopped in her tracks and asked, "Wends, is it ok if...the girls know?"

Wednesday pondered, they haven't even talked about anything amongst themselves yet, she didn't know what said conversation would endure, or would it be more of a confession. She wasn't sure but she did want to take the time to have it with Enid before they told anyone else, it was their right as...friends? No, not anymore...they've crossed that line today... "...I...I would like for us to...talk about...us... before we announce it to anyone...if you do not mind..." She said almost in a whisper with a shy look in her eyes, very uncharacteristically of her.

Enid had never seen Wednesday so vulnerable, so willing to express her...emotions...it was enchanting and made her feel so honored. "...You're right, we should...let it be our little secret, for the time being..." She looked at Wednesday once more and opened her arms, silently asking for a hug...Wednesday accepted the hug and melted into it, her walls starting to crumble...they fit so well together that it was astonishing...The sun and the moon, lightness and darkness, a rainbow and a storm cloud, perfectly complementing each other, balancing themselves out.

They broke apart blushing slightly. They started to head back to camp, Enid happily humming a light-felt tune, Wednesday crossing her arms, glaring softly. They reached the girls who were sitting in the back of the truck.

"It's about time! Where the fuck have you two been?!" snapped Yoko.

"Yeah, Daddy Yoko here was starting to freak out..." Bianca added chuckling.

"For real! I thought you got taken by the creature of something..." Yoko said ignoring Bianca's comment.

Wednesday and Enid just stood there in silence not really focusing on the worry in Yoko's tone.