Chapter 9: The Panic in your eyes

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/57hyMz9yOckeydQsQkJObv?si=4a1238882221444d

Yoko, Bianca, Divina, and Enid were all downstairs putting their things in the truck. It was a big, old pickup truck Yoko's father loved.

"I know this might be a stupid question but...do you have a license?" asked Enid sheepishly.

"Puppy...I'm 17, of course, I do!" Yoko answered sighing.

"How long have you been 17?" questioned Wednesday who appeared so quietly that she startled the girls.

"Jesus! You're gonna give me a heart attack one of these days!" Squeaked Divina.

"You do know we're only going to go for one day, right?" Bianca frowned at Wednesday, looking her up and down.

Wednesday being Wednesday was carrying a largely oversized backpack, full to the brim...which looked impressively heavy and made Wednesday look smaller than she actually was. Enid ran up to Wednesday, "Let me load that up in the truck for you." she offered energetically.

"Does it look like..." Wednesday decided to hold back the rest of her nasty remark. As she was trying to figure things out as her mother suggested... "...Actually, that would be appreciated..." she said, removing one strap off her shoulder. Enid smiled cheekily and slid the backpack off Wednesday's other shoulder, placing it over hers and running back to the truck to set it neatly between their stuff.

"Whipped!" fake coughed Yoko, laughing.

"Peculiar, I was not aware you were into that, Sinclair but I do always carry one if a torture opportunity ever presents itself..." Wednesday said with a straight face as she got in the back seat of the truck. Enid blushed...HARD... Yoko was wide-eyed, a grin plastered on her face.

"NO...STOP!" Enid huffed and pointed a finger as she looked at them sternly.

"Wow...just wow," said Bianca as she got in the front seat. Divina hid her face in her hands laughing...It was really going to be an interesting 15-minute ride...

Yoko got into the driver's seat, Bianca was in the passenger's seat, Divina was behind Bianca, Wednesday was stuck in the middle, being the smallest, and Enid was behind Yoko. The truck was big and spacious enough for them to sit comfortably and as they pleased.

"And...we're off!" Yoko announced like a grandpa.

"I'll play some music while we ride," Bianca stated, connecting her phone to the car stereo. Adore You started playing.

"Nice sound system, Yoko" Chimed Divina.

"I'd walk through fire for you. Just let me adore you" Enid sang and shimmied along.

"Like it's the only thing I'll ever do" added Bianca with a perfect note. The girls all continued dancing and singing along to the song while Wednesday glared at all of them.

The next song that came on was a bit more different from the previous pop song, New, she learned it was called. It had a nice dark vibe to it that caught Wednesday's attention, she listened to the lyrics attentively "New, you're so new. You, you're new, and you're consuming me violently. And your reverence shamelessly tempting me. Who sent this maniac? 'Cause I never had this taste in the past..." Yoko sang out loudly. "This is one of my favorite songs by No Doubt! A classic!"

Little did Wednesday and Enid know the girls had made a special playlist for this trip...the lyrics were meant to be heard; it was the push they had been talking about earlier that morning...They all instinctively smirked discreetly. That's when Into You started playing... "I'm so into you, I can barely breathe. And all I wanna do is to fall in deep..." The air in the truck started to feel heavy. Everyone was silent as the mood shifted. "But close ain't close enough. 'Til we cross the line..." The truck suddenly felt smaller making the back seat cramped.