Keeping up with Keefe

Keefe Sencen

I cluthced my head and stumbled out of bed. I had just awaken from a nightmare. A familiar one, one where I was stranded in an isolated ocean and someone was singing, a girl, she had a beautiful voice. 

I grimaced at my appearance which I was met with straight when I walked into the bathroom. I had pulled an all nighter to finish my legal studies homework. Dad wanted me to follow in his footsteps and become a legal practitioner. I frowned at the thought but then saw my frown lines and started smiling. 

I combed my hair for a good 30 minutes to get it absolutely perfecto before rummaging in my disorganised drawers to find my school uniform, I cringed at the sight of the ugly navy blazer. I nearly gagged.

I carefully put it on concious of my perfect hair. I practiced my smile in the mirror about 11 times before sliding down the stair bannister and grabbing a singular piece of buttered toast from the table stuffing it in my mouth.

"HEY! THAT WAS MINE!" My dad called from the kitchen.

"You snooze you lose!" I called back agitating him.

I eventually swallow it and go to brush my teeth for exactly 3 minutes. I grabbed my bag and stuffed whatever random papers were laying around. I grabbed money from the counter for lunch and bounded out the front door careful to not disturb my father. He was preparing for a big meeting.

I srunched my eyebrows in worry. Sophie was still in hospital and she was only in for another 2 days but still, she just got hit by a car, that must've been traumatic.

I made sure to check the roads extra carefully these days. 

I was safe in the school walls when I spotted Biana. 

Biana was different these days, she had sunk into the shadows ever since Tam had rejected her and basically called her out in front of the whole school. Stina had taken over Biana's queen bee spot and Biana was in Stina's previous spot, 

But she didn't look fussed, she now wore skirts that reached her knee, long sleeved shirts and she looked like she could care less about makeup. But I thought she was just as beautiful but she had kinda just disappeared these days. 

She met my gaze but quickly turned her head and walked the other way, I sighed and found my locker and emptied my bag. 

I looked at Sophie's locker just a hallway away from mine. Lost in my thoughts I walked away and bumped into someone. 

"Sorry" The guy said. Dex. "Oh wait no I'm not." He sneered. 

"What's your problem?" I questioned. 

"You. You are influencing my cousin, you should stay away from her. You're the reason she got hit. We were fighting cause she wanted to be friends with you." 

"Dude, she can be friends with anyone she wants. And don't blame me for your lousy mistakes!" I said defensively. 

I could see Dex's fist coming toward my face but I stepped out of the way. 

"What the hell?!" I exclaimed. 

Luckily a teacher spotted our fight and had saved me from a second punch. Dex ugly glared at me the whole way to the office. 

I explained my situation and the principal finally spoke up.

"Dexter Dizznee?" He questioned. 

Dex groaned and nodded. 

"We do not condone violence at this school. We also realise you are a scholarship student who has excellent grades. It's a shame to say this young man but you will be suspended for 2 weeks."