Gumusservi

(n.) moonlight shining on water.

"Honestly Jasper, please tell me what's wrong?"

He shook his head, gazing ahead at the lake as we sat side by side on the rocky shore of the beach. The moon's reflection lay distorted on top of the water, creating a shimmering glow.

"You've been acting weird since we went to see that fortune teller," I say with a sigh, drawing my knees up to my chest.

He was silent for a moment. "Let's go for a swim." An obvious attempt at changing the subject. I'd let this one slide. He stood up and pulled off his shirt before offering me his hand.

"I'll just...um..." Somewhat awkwardly, I pulled off my jeans and took his hand, glad that my t-shirt wasn't white. "It's going to be cold, isn't it?"

"Probably," he replied with a grin. I hadn't seen him smile like that since the other day so I leapt into the water with him, letting the goosebumps cover my skin as soon as we hit the water.

"Oh my god, it's freezing," I cry as I come up for a gasp of fresh air.

He chuckled at me. "Oh come on, it's not that bad."

"Well I'm cold, so you should warm me up," I grinned back, jumping onto his back and clinging onto him much like a koala bear would.

"I'm going underwater," he laughed, diving under with me still clinging tightly to his back. I shuddered and opened my eyes, though I couldn't see anything but dark.

Jasper came back up for air moments later so quickly that I fell off. He smiled, scooping me up in his arms. "I'm sorry," he whispered, hugging me close.

Little did I know that he wasn't apologizing for what I thought he was.