Date

(n.) a social or romantic appointment or engagement.

My footsteps were drowned out by the chattering of other students as I walked through the hallway to Charlotte's locker.

"I need your brilliant brain again," I told her as soon as I was beside her.

She laughed. "What is it now?"

"I need another date idea. I want to surprise Jasper."

"How about you take him on a picnic? It's supposed to be nice out this week," she said as she filled her bag with text books and papers.

"Sounds good. Thanks," I smiled and pulled the strap of my bag higher on my shoulder as I started walking through the hallway again, this time to leave the school.

-

"Stop trying to peek!" I laughed as I held Jasper's hand in mine, leading him to the soccer field at school that Saturday afternoon.

He pouted, trying to see past the scarf wrapped around his head as a makeshift blindfold. "Are we there yet?"

"Just about. Now stand here and don't move. No peeking either." My fingers untangled themselves from his. I took the basket in my opposite hand and set it down. Searching through it for a moment, I found the worn out blanket I had been looking for.

"Can I look yet?"

"You're so impatient," I teased him as I unfolded the blanket. "But you can take it off now."

"Finally," he groaned and pulled it off. A smile spread across his thin lips as he sat down with me. "Did you do all this?" he asked, opening up the basket to find the sandwiches I prepared.

"I mean...my sister helped me a little." I laugh.

Jasper leaned in, smiling as he kissed me softly. "You're amazing."

I smiled. "Thanks. Now let's eat, I'm hungry."

He rolled his eyes and tossed me a sandwich. "You always are," he teased. I couldn't do anything but agree.