Kalon

(n.) a beauty that is more than skin-deep.

"But I look so ugly!" I protested, hiding my face as Jasper tried to take my picture on his phone.

It was the Saturday after the winter holidays ended, and Jasper and I were at the park down the road from his house. It was a slightly overcast day, the azure sky covered by a blanket of plush, grey clouds. The sun was hazily shining through the puffy mess, though it didn't help the chill much.

Jasper frowned and lowered his phone, shaking his head. "You aren't ugly."

"Yes I am. I'm hideous!" I was laughing as if it was a joke, but deep down I could feel the pain bubbling inside my veins, pumping to every part of my body.

In three quick strides, Jasper was directly in front of me. If either of us moved any closer we'd be touching. "Fallon, listen to me," he started seriously. "You are beautiful. Inside and out. On the outside, your features are arranged in a beautiful, chaotic mess. Your nose is slightly crooked, and your eyes are two different shades of green. But you know what? It looks brilliant on you.

"but it doesn't matter what you look like, and frankly, I don't care. Yes, you are beautiful on the outside. Your eyes sparkle like emeralds and I love your blonde curls. But beauty is more than skin-deep. On the inside you are sweet and compassionate and your mind thinks up the most insane and ridiculous thoughts. And this crazy mess of beautiful thinking is what I call beauty.

"Don't you see, Fallon? It doesn't matter what you look like. It's what's inside that counts." He finished.

There were salty tears finding their way down my rosy cheeks as I looked up at him. "Thank you..." I whisper, not knowing what to say.

Jasper grins, and he leans down and kisses my forehead. "Your beauty goes more than skin-deep, and I love that about you." He whispered.

I'm sure I'll need surgery to fix my stomach. There are butterflies in every colour batting their acute wings against my insides rather violently.