001. PROBLEM AND SOLUTION

(Salina's Version)

(Salina's Version)

I HEAR A HASTILY KNOCK on my door behind me. My head turns around to see my Father's face behind the glass door. I wave my hand for him to come in, placing a piece of paper down on my table with my other. He walks in, making sure to close the door behind him.

He claps the palm of his hands together and stands across the table from me. My lips curl up into a smile.

"What's up, boss?" I ask.

"You don't have to call me boss." He chuckles out a laugh. "We're practically in the same ranking now that you're our new part-time owner for Mercedes. But that's not the point of why I'm here. The point is, Bono—if you don't know already—Lewis' race engineer, left this morning for personal reasons and won't be able to help Lewis out today."

"Okay, and do we have anyone to sub into his spot for today's race?" My arms cross together.

"That's exactly why I'm speaking with you. You will sub in for Bono today. And for the meantime until he comes back which we don't know when yet." He points a finger at me, giving me a gentle smile.

My eyebrows draw in together. "Are you serious? I—I mean, I don't know if I'm able to do that, Dad."

"Ah—uh, remember, we are at work. We don't use that term here." He reminds me of his little rules.

My father has this thing whenever we're in a work manner, I shall never use any term of the subject of family while in a work environment. Especially now that I'm working with him and my mother. He's very strict when it comes to separating his work life and his personal life. And I respect that, me also.

"I mean; Toto." I emphasize his name.

"You've watched thousands of races in your lifetime to know what Bono does. I strongly feel that you have that same motive in you. You're a flexible person, Sally. You got this." He puts both of his thumbs up in the air.

"Is there anyone else to take over for Bono?" I try again.

"Not at the moment, you're all we've got right now." He purses his lips into a thin smile.

I sigh, resting my cheek on the palm of my hand with this news. I don't really have a choice in this. It's only my first day and things have already taken a turn.

"And Lewis knows of this?" I ask and he nods his head.

"Alright then, I guess I'll be Bono for today." My hands move down to my waist as I stand straight.

"I'll see you at the paddock later." He leans forward to kiss my forehead before leaving my office room.

I stand there, rethinking my life decisions for a minute. I've watched Bono communicate with Lewis through his set of headphones many times in my life back when I was a teenager. It can't be that hard, I assume. His job is to basically guide Lewis throughout the start and end of the race. I got this, I always do.