005. A TRUCE

(Lewis' Version)

(Lewis' Version)

I ENTER THE PADDOCK WITH a little excitement as it's another race weekend approaching. I spent my two weeks back at my home in the United Kingdom doing my usual routine. Wake up early, go for a quick run, eat, answer some business emails, meet with Angela about work, eat again, work out in my home gym, have some free time, eat once more, and go to sleep.

I run into, Matt, our team's chief mechanic. He always gets here earlier than everyone who works in the paddock area.

"Morning, Matt. How's your family?" I ask him, leaning my back on the counter.

"Yeah, they've been good. The kids asked a lot about you actually." He chuckles, nudging my arm.

I join along and look around the garage. That's when I set my eyes at Salina. She seems to be busy signing forms at the back corner. Her movements look tense, like she didn't take a single break throughout these past two weeks to rest.

"How about you? Did anything fun back in the U.K.?" Matt snaps my attention back to him.

"Uh, I just stayed home. Did the usual, you know, played with Roscoe and made sure to check on my parents. Basically, I isolated myself, but we need that sometimes, don't we?" I smile.

"You're totally right. I would if my wife and kids weren't always at home." He crosses his arms.

"Mhm." I nod my head, turning it back to Salina's direction.

I watch her again. This time, she starts crossing things out on a paper, harshly. She curses to herself, but loud enough for me to hear from across the paddock. My eyes narrow in curiosity. She doesn't know that I'm here, so there's no reason for her to be pissed off at the moment.

Salina throws her pen down, sighing. Her hand massages her forehead—she must be stressed about something. But who am I to care? I don't even know why I'm still watching her. Matt gets distracted with another mechanic and starts working as I'm busy on Salina.

Then Angela comes out of no where and hugs her from the side. She says something into Salina's ear, but I can't hear it. Salina nods. Angela gives her another hug before walking over to me. She catches me staring at the two of them.

I stand up and clear my throat when she arrives right in front of me. Angela gives me a look as if she had just caught me eating sugar from the jar.

"Don't you even think about playing around with Salina today—or ever again." She points a finger, cautioning me. "I know how you are with her and it has to stop."

"And why is that? The woman can't agree to a single thing I say." I immediately feel offended.

"Same thing with you." She calls me out.

"What's her deal anyways? I noticed you comforting her just now." I judge my head in Salina's direction.

Angela looks back and takes a second before answering my question. "Listen, Lewis. Salina had a rough break. She found out her dad passed away from battling cancer and it's been a little hard for her. I know you, Lew, so please don't say anything stupid again."