002. EXPECTING MORE

(Salina's Version)

(Salina's Version)

THE TOP BUTTONS ON my shirt are unbutton due to tensions occurring inside my body, causing me to feel warm. It's the next morning and I'm already dreading to start the day with a team conference upstairs. But I have to put up with my mood since Nicolette, my best friend, is visiting today. She originally planned on visiting the race yesterday to see how my first day goes, but thank god she didn't.

I luckily convinced her the other day to have a day out around town to herself. Or else she would've have had to see my big argument with Lewis after the race. I can't stand him already. He's unbelievable, he irks me so much.

My head rests on the back of the couch with my eyes staring at the ceiling above me. That's when I hear heels walking in. I sense it's Nicolette with our coffees. And I'm right, she immediately starts talking as she places our warm cups down on the coffee table.

"What's with the mood? You're usually excited to start your day every morning." I feel the couch move as she sits down next to me.

"It's Lewis." I blurt out, forcing myself up to grab my coffee.

"What about him?" She takes a sip of her drink.

"He's a menace when he's out on the track. No matter how much I tried to help him out, he just wouldn't listen and he's the one angry with me after the race. That obnoxious and cruel man took out all of his anger on me in front of the whole team." My cheeks flush red.

"I thought you mentioned in the past that the guy's really polite with new people. You know like how he is on TV." She looks at me.

"He's the total opposite off camera. It's easy to like him when you see the dude on screen, but if you went what I went through yesterday, you'd instantly change your view of him. He just—ughh! Talking about him just makes me want to kick this table over." I'm breathing heavily now.

"Okay, just take a breath." Nicolette takes my hands. "I'm sure if the two of you just talk it out, then maybe it won't be as bad."

"I don't think there will be any talking-it-out pretty soon. I did nothing wrong, he embarrassed me in front of everyone. He's just impossible." I let out a sigh.

"We'll figure something out, but for now let's just stop talking about him and just catch up on other stuff." She tries to move onto a new topic.

"Yeah... sure." I say before taking my first sip of coffee.

I've known Nicolette since for as long as I can remember. My father, Toto, is great friends her father, Mikel. They've known each other since their grade school years. She's the only friend that's really sticked with me after high school and college. Practically my own sister.

Even though I'm older than her by a couple of months, she always ends up taking up the big sister role out of the two of us. And neither of us mind it. That's just how it always was with us. She went through the same pressure as me growing up. Going through a high education since our parents could afford to give us one.