31_ALTERATION II

To the teenager's great surprise the room erupted into shouts and laughter. The Meloria that were holding their hands took and embraced them. Fel had the wind knocked out of him at Galian's embrace. At once, Merenthaal were bringing into the lounge large platters laden with delicious looking edibles of many sorts which they had obviously prepared for this occasion. They set them down on low tables in the center of the lounge. Others brought in crystal vases with liquid of various shades: deep reds, light and dark golds, peaches and pinks.

The young people watched all of this as the four Meloria stood beside them. The aliens began pouring and drinking as they laughed and called to each other. Four tall crystal glasses were given to the four Meloria trainers and they in turn gave them to the four Ophilion. At that moment Arthur raised his chalice and within five seconds everyone was looking in their direction, glass in hand.

"Our young representatives have come far and through difficulties and tests." He announced. The rest of the Merenthaal nodded and commented and smiled in admiration.

"They have made their decision..." Arthur scanned the room, allowing anticipation to build, "they are part of us now – for they have chosen to stay!"

The Merenthaal shouted their elation, raising their glasses, faces radiant. Arthur raised his hand, and once again there was an energetic silence. "To Fel, Jenna, Celli and Orion – our comrades..." He looked around at his crewmates' eager faces. "Let us revel!" More shouts and laughter and pouring.

The lighting in the lounge shifted, and suddenly there was music – a wonderfully rhythmic music such as the Ophilion had never heard. Suddenly too, there was a group of alien beings surrounding the Ophilion, eager to converse with them. They were encouraged to try some of the beverage in their tall crystal glasses. They did. It was remarkable. It was not unlike the hamera juice they had drunk with Menaro, earlier that day, except that it possessed a very different quality, though they couldn't tell what it was. The light pink nectar was rich and sweet, with a slight tang, and a soft pleasant aftertaste. Similar, yet definitely not the same as hamera juice.

Remarkably, they felt completely at ease with these strange people; more at ease than with their fellow factory workers or their Mrith gaming friends or Uncle Menaro and Paril. These aliens were more like family members they had never met. None of them however tried to analyze this; they were more inclined to flow with the invigorating atmosphere created by these beings, and this ship.

They remained surrounded by the Meloria who were very interested in every aspect of their lives, especially the last week. They laughed readily and drank and ate heartily, constantly urging the Ophilion to try the delicacies laid out before them, and taking pleasure in their reaction. The crewmembers of the Antarious seemed to be used to enjoying themselves in this fashion.

For the young Ophilion it was difficult to calculate the time they spent in that lounge, reveling with the Merenthaal. They had been talking and listening to many of the agents for what seemed to be many hours, however they felt no fatigue and could have gone on for many hours more. What they had learned since entering the Antarious seemed to them to be more than what they had learned in the entirety of their lives up until that point.

Without warning the pleasant commotion in the lounge abated and tapered to a vibrant, expectant silence, as if someone had made an inaudible announcement. The Ophilion, who had not received the notice, were momentarily disoriented.

Arthur stood up from the comfortable white couch upon which he had been sitting and talking and laughing with three of the Meloria. "It is time for the young Ophilion to retire." He said. The young Ophilion, being happily engaged in the reveling, did not share his opinion. "I know you don't feel fatigued in the least at this moment, but you have not slept for more than two of your calah, and you are mortal. We have many more calah ahead of us," Arthur walked to where Maria stood and she put her arm around his waist and he around her shoulder. "So, take your rest now," he said, pulling Maria a little closer to him and kissing her hair, "you will be awakened when it is time, and your morning meal will be ready for you. I know that sleep may be the furthest thing from your mind at the moment, but as you lie down, you will feel all the fatigue of your journey come upon you at once, and you will rest well."