43_INTERROGATION II

Carlin watched the young man's face. He could see the reflection of his friend and colleague in Orion. His father would be proud.

"The Antarion need your help," Orion glanced around at them, "in order to save lives. You see, there's a very small chance that the Order will cancel the weapons tests. If they do, for some reason, then the disaster will be averted, for now. But if they go through with it, our only chance is to get people out of the com-zones; that's how we can save lives – that is where you are needed."

Orion took a deep breath. He would have to tell them about the task the Antarion were asking them to perform. He looked around uncertainly then plunged in before he lost momentum. "What they are asking is that you share your knowledge with the people. With everyone. On the whole planet. Everyone has to know what's at stake – what the Order is not telling the people. This is the kind of justice that the Merenthaal administer.

"Knowledge is part of justice. The power to make an informed choice. If everyone knew what you know – what we know – then they could make this choice when – or if – the time comes." It was impossible to gauge what the Chiefs were thinking. Orion wondered if they might all burst out laughing, or if they might rush him, grab him and lock him up as a psychopath, or send him to the 'Pen'.

Thankfully they all sat very still, observing him. Eventually Carlin spoke. His irritation was evident, yet he understood that the information the intruders had given was not to be disregarded lightly. Something beyond his understanding was at work. He would test their resolve. "And how would it be possible to do that?" He scoffed. "We have no access to anything. The minute we're recognized we would be arrested and, I'm pretty sure, swiftly terminated. We are some of the most wanted individuals on the planet. And you think that we could somehow speak to the people? On the whole planet? Do you know what that would require? You're talking about a broadcast to the planet." The stupidity of the idea was clear and Orion felt his resolve weaken. "Nobody makes broadcasts to the whole planet. The com-zones have independent media systems, that's one of the ways they keep control."

Carlin was not only forceful and domineering, he was a genius. He had developed theories that no one could have imagined; theories that led to the creation of quontol explosives – the very invention that threatened their civilization. He was not a man to trifle with. "The information channels are more carefully guarded than the weapons laboratories. In any case, who would believe us if we could broadcast this information?"

"The people would listen to you." Everyone turned their gaze to the petite girl who had not yet spoken. Her voice was soft and clear and she seemed to know exactly what she was saying. "The Merenthaal do have the means of making a planet-wide broadcast. We don't know how, but they do. And if you were to speak to the people they would listen, and some of them would act. They would know what is happening and how to avoid the catastrophe." She paused.

One of the scientists asked, in a subdued voice: "But... why do you think the people would listen to us? We were completely discredited. We have been in hiding for five cenro, I don't think anyone would even recognize us."

"You're wrong," Celli told him. "A lot of people still recognize you and believe in you. The Chiefs who took your place in the Science Circle are a very different group – they were chosen by the Order on account of their loyalty to them, not their brilliance as scientists and social leaders. Most people don't trust them like they trusted you. You meant a lot to many people; and not just your discoveries and your research, but your heart and soul – the way you were, the way you did things, what you said, which is why you are here now in the underground – you refused to give up on your ideals; you truly love Ohpilion."

Celli paused and looked at the faces and eyes of the rogue scientists. "The things that we have experienced in the last five porthen have been," she turned to make eye contact with her mrith team and with the Jenna, "unbelievable; we wouldn't believe them unless they happened to us, so I understand your hesitation, but... we're here!" She involuntarily raised her right hand toward the ceiling. "Inside your fortress! And you never detected us. That's got to count for something."