49_BACCARAN

It was a sober quartet the Antarion addressed. The 'rabbit hole' Arthur had told them about in their first meeting was truly a deep one; he had not been exaggerating. "Don't accept anything the Baccaran tell you," Maria reminded them for the fiftieth time. Her voice was softening and she began to sound more like a concerned mother and less like a Merenthaal commander. "Stay together – don't allow them to separate you from us or from each other."

The Almaron had her own doubts – notions that she would never tell them – at this point there was too much at stake. All of the Antarion felt very differently about the four young Ophilion now. This always happened; especially when recruiting young people as part of their operations team – and it was almost exclusively young people that were chosen; a kind of adoption process ensued along with their training and missions. The children always became their children.

"We couldn't tell you about your participation in the broadcast earlier; we have our reasons, but now we ask you to trust us again." The Antarion looked at them, their expressions solemn. "Only you know us intimately," Maria said. "Only you know our thoughts and feelings. All we ask is that you speak from your heart. Tell them what you feel – anything you feel; everything you feel. You may speak of your time with us, of your discoveries, of what you've learned; your anger, your doubts, your frustration, your joy. Tell them what we have told you. We need you to be our voice – to say the things we would say if we could."

In the silence that followed they could hear Merenthaal agents talking in the adjoining room, preparing for the broadcast, which was just a few minutes away. They heard Carlin in the next room answering a question. Another of the Chiefs made a remark.

The mrith gamers and the Regalan student were once again faced with a difficult decision which would have far-reaching consequences.

Without consulting each other they all nodded at the same time.

"I had a feeling we could count on you," Maria said, and they could sense the deep gratitude in both of the commanders. "We'll take time to talk about everything as soon as we can, I promise."

The Ophilion nodded again in unison.

No, what Greshon had told them was a lie. The Antarion were exactly what they said they were. They had secrets, but no ulterior motives.

Miguel poked his head in. "Ready here."

Arthur nodded at his colleague then turned to the four young people. "Thank you in advance," he said sincerely.

The group of six moved back into the main studio area which was a large, sophisticated, high-ceilinged room well stocked with the best equipment; set up with everything needed for anything. The rulers were still sitting together on the floor with a few guards surrounding them. They looked up as the commanders entered.

"We've got the Baccaran and their scientists," Takea said.

"Excellent," Maria replied and telepathically exchanged an idea with Arthur.

I agree, Arthur made an inaudible response. "Come," he beckoned the teenagers towards the center of the studio, nearer the rulers and their guards. At the same time the group of science chiefs were brought out of an adjoining room into the main studio and approached the central area. Hostile glances of recognition were exchanged between some of the rulers and some of the Chiefs.

It was an odd assortment of individuals that occupied the media studio in the most exclusive and secure location in Kypro. It was a strange meeting; a unique moment in Ophilion history – one which none of the individuals present would forget.

The general commander of the Antarious made his address: "We are preparing to bring in the Baccaran. Before you see them, I want to explain a few things." Everyone's attention was focused on Arthur. Regardless of their differences, they all understood that what happened in the studio in the following minutes would affect the future of the planet to a great extent.