46_INTRUSION

Carlin, while recognizing their benevolence and the gravity of the situation, couldn't help but state the obvious. "An unauthorized broadcast to the whole planet? That's never been done. To even attempt it we would have to broadcast from inside the Monitoring Tower," he shrugged helplessly, "which is impossible."

"Actually," Maria said, "we're going to do it from inside the Central Control Tower, the Ruler's tower... which is even more impossible."

Carlin shook his head. "This is insane."

"Not as insane as you might think."

Maria's confidence was assuring, but Carlin was not convinced. "So... we just walk in and demand that they allow us to use the broadcast signal?"

Maria nodded.

"We would need the broadcast codes for all one hundred thirty-eight com-zones." Carlin presented another impossibility. "Com-zones do not give those out freely."

"Already Got'em."

"You have the codes?"

Maria nodded. "All we need is you."

"Okay," Carlin wasn't finished, "let's say we do make it in there and we manage to pull off a universal broadcast," he shook his head at the absurdity of the idea, "what do you need us for? Why not contact the Regala; from what I understand they are already living the kind of ideal life you're talking about." Although this question had been answered by the young representatives, he wanted an answer directly from the Merenthaal.

"We have contacted the Regala and they have agreed to help; and one of them has already risked her life in this endeavor," she laid her hand on Jenna's arm. "The Regala are making preparations for the survivors. They are doing their part, but the Regala aren't part of the com system, people here wouldn't relate to them, they wouldn't trust them with this kind of information, just as they wouldn't trust us even if we had the right to give it. Would you trust aliens who don't even have dermal markings?"

There was a period of silence while the great minds contemplated. The scientists, while finding it difficult to believe many of the things their new friends said, could not detect a lie or an ulterior motive anywhere. These were the straightest talking people they had ever met; people with an altruistic force to match theirs. The Merenthaal were people. People who, while alien to their world, seemed to care for it as much as they did. They had a sense of universal compassion for all creatures, although they were immortal – or so they said.

"The people need to see someone they are familiar with," Maria continued, "someone they trust. The news you're breaking is huge and it's going to be hard to believe, especially because we won't have any proof to show except for the fact that we're making the broadcast. But if they see you, listen to you, they will have more reason to accept the information – more people will make the choice to get out on time."

"Maybe," Carlin said, "but we were completely discredited by the Order, who would believe us now?"

"The people who have open minds and hearts will believe you," Maria said. "You are still the brightest scientists on Ophilion; there have been no others who have taken the places you filled, as if the gap has been left there just for you. When the people see you, it will be as if a light has been turned on. They will be given a moment of clarity, and then each must make their choice. We'll do what we can, then it's up to individuals to decide. We are all free moral agents."

Carlin made a quick tally and realized that it was worth the risk. He believed they shared the same goals, although he still couldn't understand why they would come so far just to try to save a few lives on an alien world. Perhaps, when this was all over, he could dedicate time to trying to understand these concepts.