32_INSIGHT

When their tour had ended, on the second day, Arthur invited them into another of the lounges to sit and talk. Jenna wondered just how many lounges this ship had. The new lounge was obviously designed with relaxation and comfort in mind, not the kind of showy, almost gaudy comfort of the Elen-Tron, but true tastefulness which gave them a warm, harmonious feeling.

"How about something to drink?" Arthur said.

The Ophilion nodded in unison. "Yes, please," Celli said.

As if on cue, one of the Meloria came into the lounge carrying a tray with glasses containing an opaque light red liquid which she placed on the table. Everyone politely expressed their gratitude.

"This is juice from a fruit that grows on Earth," Arthur explained. "It's called a strawberry... one of our favorites."

The Ophilion took the tall glasses and tasted the juice cautiously at first. "It's delicious!" Jenna remarked. The others nodded in agreement and drank freely. They later agreed that it was the best elixir they had even drank; better even than hamera juice. They placed their glasses back on the table, sensing that Arthur had something important to tell them.

"We want to give you a few calah to get used to your new reality before you begin training in earnest," Arthur said. "We want you to feel comfortable with the way things work here. But we do have one important announcement that we will make now, and that is to assign you your personal trainer. I think you have already developed a connection, but we want to make it official."

The young Ophilion and the Melorian agents looked into each other's eyes. "And you probably know who your trainers are; they are the ones you first held hands with when you met." Galian reached over and took Fel's hand; Takea, Jenna's; Cathandra, Celli's; and Kylor, Orion's. "So, there it is," Arthur concluded, "official. We will all be working together, but these will be your personal coaches – the ones directly responsible for you during your time of training, and during your active mission. And I believe that your coaches have a special gift for each of you." Arthur and Maria smiled at them and rose from their seats, leaving the eight to themselves.

***

"Do you remember the time you were swimming in Belemer Lake?" Kylor asked Orion as they walked down a wide passage somewhere in the ship. "You had just completed your eighth cenro." Orion remembered. He looked up at his coach nervously and swallowed. "You thought you could make it to that dock, out on the lake."

Orion felt his heart rate increase as he remembered the terrifying sensation of panic. "I thought I was going to die." He said quietly, and they stopped walking.

"Then you felt something – in your mind," Kylor tapped his temple, "and suddenly, you knew you could swim the rest of the way – your panic disappeared."

Orion looked up at his trainer in awe. "So... that was real?"

Kylor smiled.

"It wasn't just my imagination?"

He shook his head.

Orion looked to the floor. "I never told anyone about that – I was scared." He looked back up at Kylor. "Thank you."

The powerful Meloria placed his hand on the boy's shoulder. "That's my job. I have been keeping my eye on you all these cenro, and sometimes, I came to help when I was needed."

Orion shook his head taking it all in. "All so we could find our way here... and do this mission?"

"No!" Kylor said, showing surprise for the first time. He placed his other hand on Orion's other shoulder and looked deeply into his eyes so that he would understand. "Not just for the mission, Orion, for you – because you wanted to know more and go further; because you have the heart and will for it – because it is your Destiny to do so. Remember, I wasn't the one who selected you."