56_HENOSIS

Their family members took the news well enough. They realized that their children, their brother and sister, were an integral part of what was happening and wouldn't have tried to hold them back, although the parting was an anxious one. In twenty mech-tah the apprentices had exited the camp through the east-most reception tent and were making their way toward the Antarious.

Galian was there to welcome them. He broke into a grin as he watched them approach. "You'll fit in just fine up there." He told them as they ascended the plank. "You already walk like Merenthaal." They were proud to hear him say that. They knew he wasn't flattering. Meloria never flattered; it was their nature to talk straight. "Follow me," Galian said, "we go straight to the bridge."

They were familiar with Merenthaal navigation and flight controls having taken a course during their training on the Antarious, but this would be their first flight in this ship.

"No need to strap in, Arthur said, in fact, there are no straps at all, as you can see." He sat with the Ophilion in a conference area on the bridge: two curved couches with a table between them. This was located behind the pilot's and navigator's seats.

The bridge was an expansive center of operations which was as large as the entrance lounge. The Antarious could be piloted manually, when complex maneuvers were necessary, or automatically, when their path was direct.

One of the Meloria took the controls and prepared for lift off. They watched through the large front window as the ship rose from the ground. Immediately Orion, Celli and Fel became disoriented. The shock was clearly written on their faces. They felt light-headed and held onto the couch to stabilize themselves. Jenna, by contrast, felt perfectly at ease. She cocked her head at her friends' reaction. "What's the matter?" she asked.

Arthur, the pilot, and a few of the Meloria nearby broke out laughing. "That is unsettling, isn't it," Arthur said, capitalizing on their discomfort. "But Jenna seems just fine." He snickered.

"What is that?" Jenna asked, wondering what was happening to the mrith team.

"That's why we don't need safety straps," he smiled. "Don't worry, you'll get used to it. You're so accustomed to the feeling of g-force that accompanies optics that your brain can't calibrate it." Arthur took the opportunity to laugh some more, watching their faces contorting. "I was going to warn you about this, but..." everyone nearby laughed along with him, "...what fun would that be." He leaned back on the couch. "You're getting the treatment Jenna got when you took off from Portos-Caas in the Elen-Tron, only in reverse."

Jenna shrugged. It seemed fair.

"With this technology we can execute extreme maneuvers and remain in operational mode. Look..." Arthur pointed. They could see the whole camp through the large front windows as the pilot circled at a shallow angle. The mrith gamers held on more tightly.

The sight was remarkable. The camp was a disc of soft yellow light, divided by streets and avenues. They could see the four campfires in The Circle. The pilot made two more passes in wider sweeps to give them a good view then changed course and headed for the edge of the atmosphere, and the asteroid belt.

"Ah, this will help." At that moment Maria walked tward them carrying a tray with six glasses of their favorite Merenthaal beverage. The Ophilion gratefully accepted the strawberry elixir; the fermentation, they recognized, would help to settle their stomachs.

"There's something we will tell you about now, because you should prepare for this." Arthur told them. The teenagers cast sidelong glances at each other. "It has to do with the ceremony, and... with something we put in your drinks."

The Ophilion snickered and Maria giggled along with them. They were getting used to the commander's banter. "No, I'm serious... about the drinks, we really did put something in them, besides strawberries." They glanced at each other. Cathandra, who was nearby, confirmed what Arthur had said with a nod. The young people finally realized that Arthur was in earnest.