30_ACCEPTANCE

For a long time the young Ophilion sat in the tranquility of the Antarious lounge, attempting to determine their own connection with reality, trying to come to terms with the implications of what they were being offered, endeavoring to filter through the experiences of their lives and locate their true feelings.

Orion stared out of one of the lounge windows at the Elen-Tron, sitting by the cliff on the crater floor. How incredible indeed that we are here in this amazing lounge in this amazing ship having just had the most amazing conversation of our lives! How incredible that we – Cholan and a Regala – have been offered this opportunity. Togan! Togan knew us! Arthur and Maria knew us! How can I say no to them, even though I have no idea what will happen? Yes, I'll do it. Whatever it is, I'll do it. "I'll do it." Orion heard himself say, and was surprised at the sound of his voice. Fel, Celli and Jenna turned their eyes to him.

"So will I," said Jenna soberly.

"Me too," said Celli.

"And me," Fel added without hesitation.

They all took turns looking into each other's eyes, visually confirming their decisions.

At that moment the door on the far end of the lounge again slid noiselessly open and Arthur and Maria entered. They walked slowly to the circle of couches and took their seats. Ophilion and Merenthaal studied each other's faces. "So," Arthur said, after half a minute, "have you made your decisions?"

Orion nodded. "I'm going to do it," He said. "I'll stay here."

Celli nodded as wel. "Me too."

"Yes," said Fel soberly, "I'll do it,"

All eyes turned to Jenna. She knew what she was going to say, but she hesitated. It was Arthur and Maria – the dimensional agents; they didn't fit her profile of the Merenthaal. They were too human – too natural. She took issue with their style; their casual almost flippant manner when they spoke of certain things. Their outbursts of laughter. They were brash and overconfident, then suddenly sober and cryptic. They were restrictive and inclusive in the same sentence. They concealed information and communicated telepathically with each other.

She was in awe at these people, but trust was not a word she would use to describe her feelings. However, she was not one to back out; besides, she had to know how this would end, and she wouldn't let her new friends - the com-kids – be the only ones to find out. The Regalan student understood that many of her preconceived notions were likely to change; but maybe that too was Destiny. "Okay," she said, relying on her dignity and sense of duty. "I'll do it."

Arthur and Maria were visibly moved. "Okay." Arthur nodded pensively. "Okay. I'm very happy to hear that."

The agents seemed relieved. What if we had chosen to go back? Orion thought. He realized there was a lot more that Arthur and Maria were not telling them at this time, whether it was because of the Code of the Merenthaal or for some other reason he could only guess, but he felt it as strongly as when he had first laid eyes on the sphere: it was real and it was his destiny to follow this path to whatever end it held for him.

"Now that you have made your choice," Arthur said, "we can go to the next step," he glanced around at them seriously. "It's time for you to meet the rest of the crewmembers of the Antarious."

The Ophilions' eyes widened. They were entering the world of the Merenthaal, now. They suddenly had the peculiar feeling that if they could transport themselves back home in a flash, they would seriously consider it. There was too much intensity here; too much responsibility. They were being drawn into a community – a kind of military unit. Everything was moving too fast – they were too young, too inexperienced, and yet, there was something about these two aliens that made them want to stay, even though they hadn't a clue what they would eventually be asked to do.