28_REALITY III

Maria took up the monologue now. The Ophilion shifted their gaze to her mesmerizing eyes and attractive round face. "As Jenna has told you," she smiled at the Regalan, "we are aliens to your world, but not to this galaxy. We have been observing Ophilion for the last three hundred cenro, for reasons which Jenna has also explained. We are now entering the endgame – the final phase of this cycle."

Here Maria lost the carefree look in her eyes for a few seconds as she prepared her next sentence. She continued in a sober tone. "It has fallen to us – the four of you included – if you accept – to act at this time." She paused to let the import of her words sink in. "The developments on your planet that have taken us to our present point were brought about by the people of Ophilion, not by us; it is the natural result of the combined choices of the majority of the population.

"Many have called this succession of choices 'progress', but others, especially the Regala," she nodded to Jenna, "have seen the truth: the balance with nature has been broken; personal freedom is almost dead, and the rulers of Kypro have put their confidence in the Baccaran – that malignant alien force that hates human-kind," she and Arthur shared a glance and Maria raised her eyebrows, "us included."

Then their host's smile returned as quickly as it had disappeared and the young Ophilion were again relieved. "But here, aboard the Antarious, none of that affects us. We are free from all worries here – for a time."

So far, the young Ophilion had been sitting as if in a trance. Anything their hosts told them seemed like magic to them. None of them, at this point, fully accepted that they were really on an alien spacecraft in the asteroid belt – it all seemed too surreal.

"We'll talk about your planet in the near future," Maria continued her monologue, "but for now, on a more personal note: we called you friends and comrades, and so you are. Let me show you." Maria reached into her blouse and pulled out a pendant.

The Ophilion gasped in unison. It was the same kind of pendant as the ones they wore. They were more astonished now than they thought possible; but Maria hadn't finished.

"Let me explain." Their host said. "This is a medallion that has been awarded since ancient times to the Balance Keepers – the Merenthaal. Some receive it after they have rendered service worthy of it, as we did, others before, as a sign of their acceptance to service, as you have. It is only given to human-kind and only for the purpose of serving human-kind.

In your case it is a sign of acceptance; so far you have not rendered service to merit this medallion, but if you wish to do so, we will give you your chance. Jenna," Maria turned her eyes to the Regalan, "you have begun to render service by living in accordance with the Ancient Code and working for your people, and for accepting the mission you were offered." Jenna watched her with round eyes. "You demonstrated great courage by trusting us and going alone to Kypro." Maria cracked a grin. "Well... almost to Kypro." Maria couldn't suppress another giggle and Arthur lips betrayed a smirk. Then Maria's smile faded. "But your medallion, as yet, is undeserved. However, these things count in your favor."

Maria's eyes grew brighter as she prepared to divulge secret information she knew would delight their visitors. "Would you like to know what the scrip means?" Like Arthur, she didn't wait for an answer. "Jenna," she said, "remove your medallion and hold it in both of your hands."

Jenna complied, mechanically, still in a state of compounded shock and wonder.

Maria sat on the edge of her couch and reached across the space between them, enfolding Jenna's hands in her own. Jenna gasped as she felt something like an electrical impulse pass through her which left her brain and spinal cord tingling. She suddenly felt as if she could see and hear and smell everything around her twenty times better than she normally could. But her brain was bewildered, saturated with so much new information. She sat staring at the medallion, unable to move.