Thirteen

❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁

Sneakers were squeaking across the polished wood floors of the court as it's inhabitants were engaged in a heated game. The temperature was rising, bodies starting to sweat as the boys were giving it their all, not caring if it was their own teammates they were competing against. They were crossing each other, people were disrespectfully dunked on, free throws were brutally blocked, the list goes on and on.  It's a miracle they can still remain friends after their practices.

Though, two people in the room were paying a bit too much attention to each other than to the spectacle of events unfolding before them.

Jungkook was relaxing back against the bleachers, leaning back on his elbows as he gave Taehyung his full attention. He had a small smile, listening to Taehyung go off on a tangent as he busily bounced between what he was saying. He'd begin telling Jungkook one thing, then a memory would trigger and he'd have to tell the younger immediately or he'd forget about it. Suffice to say, Jungkook had no idea how animated Taehyung could be. He'd had one perception of the elder; annoying, cocky, and hard to read. But it seemed that was only part of the truth.

He was slowly realizing it was only a small part of who Taehyung actually is, the small part that Taehyung shows everyone so no one can get too close to him. The real Taehyung was actually quite easy to get along with, he had very valid opinions and interesting things to say and Jungkook had a fleeting thought that he could listen to him speak about anything for hours.

"Jungkook, are you listening?" Taehyung asked as he poked the younger's arm gently with a small pout. 

It was enough to shake Jungkook out of his thoughts, blinking a few times before nodding his head. "Of course I was. You were ranting about how Ari always flirts with Seojoon, so you think she's playing with him but he's not looking for anything serious anyway so you shouldn't care about it but you do anyway because that's your bestie."

Now it was Taehyung's turn to blink a few times. "Wow, you're a really good listener. That was damn near word for word."  Jungkook shrugged with a small smirk, eyes raking over Taehyung before he glanced away blankly to the basketball players.

Taehyung gulped, flitting his gaze down to the back of his hand as he picked at it. Jungkook made him so nervous sometimes. He never knew what the younger was thinking because he was a man of few words and fleeting glances. He willed himself to look away from his reddening hands and steal a peak at Jungkook's side profile. 

He was so undeniably handsome, it was almost unfair he was allowed to walk around like this. If Taehyung looked hard enough, he could see the indentation of a hole right below the side of his plump pink bottom lip. Facial piercings weren't allowed at school and he could remember seeing Jungkook nibbling on something shiny at different parties. The thought caused a dull itch within him, wishing he could see it up close and in person. He was beginning to feel antsy, his fingers beginning to shake slightly at the want of having something so close, yet so far away.  

He shook his head, grabbing his hands together tightly. He quickly spoke out, wishing for a change in subject to save him from where his thoughts were heading. "Um Jungkook?"

The blonde hummed as an answer, turning to Taehyung with a raised eyebrow in question.

"Why did you come sit with me today after avoiding me all day?"

Jungkook's eyebrows slightly rose in surprise at the elder's blunt statement. "Hah, just getting right to it, huh?" Taehyung shrugged, looking at the Jungkook with such curiosity the younger couldn't help but shake his head and tell the truth. "Taehyung, there's something you need to understand about me. I'm a bit of a complicated person. Feelings scare me and I don't make the best decisions. I have a lot of baggage and issues that cause me to do things I don't always have control over. I probably do a lot self destruction to myself and I've definitely done it in my relationships."

Jungkook sighed, running a hand down his face. "I guess what I'm saying is, I'm gonna make choices that you won't like, such as avoiding you, and I'll probably hurt your feelings from time to time." He finished, looking at Taehyung with a such a serious face that it unnerved the older a bit. "I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear." He said a little softer, glancing away.

Taehyung looked down at his lap, biting his lip in deep thought. He definitely didn't expect to hear all that and now he didn't know to do with such information.  But one thing he knew for sure was... "I don't care."

Jungkook whipped his head back in disbelief. " What was that?"

"I said I don't care." Taehyung said with resolve. "Jungkook, nothing you do to me can compare to the way I've hurt you in the past. When I said I wanted to earn my spot by your side I meant it. I want everything. The good, the bad, I don't care what you give me because it's you."

Wow.

Against the younger's better judgement, he felt a small blush creep onto his cheeks but he didn't turn away. He let Taehyung see his affect on him. He'd earned it at this point. If Taehyung could open up his heart like this then Jungkook could reward him a bit.

And Taehyung, being his observant self, noticed all of it. He noticed how Jungkook's round eyes seemed to glaze over as he looked deeply at him. He noticed how Jungkook's cute cheeks softly turned into a pretty pink shade. He noticed how Jungkook didn't hide it from him and Taehyung reveled in it. His own cheeks began turning a deep shade of red as he felt so fucking honored all over again just to be in Jungkook's presence.

Jungkook smiled at the red tint taking over Taehyung face, coughing a bit before he finally adjusted himself. "Hey so... how are you getting home today?"

"One of the guys was supposed to drop me off so I still have to wait awhile." Taehyung uttered out, still not over their little moment.

"Don't they still have like 2 hours left of practice? C'mon I'll just take you home." Jungkook furrowed his brows, he was getting tired of just sitting and watching and he desperately needed some food before he got hangry.

"Wait really? Are you sure? I don't wanna impose my crippled ass on you." 

"Taehyung, shut the fuck up and come on. I literally offered." Jungkook rolled his eyes, jumping to his feet and offering a hand to Taehyung.  The older looked at the hand, feeling his cheeks wanting to burn all over again but he pushed it down, quickly taking Jungkook's outstretched hand. The younger pulled him to his feet like he weighed nothing, handing him his crutches before strolling to the gym doors to hold them open for Taehyung. 

The older felt his heart was about to burst, he couldn't believe how sweet Jungkook was being to him and he was gonna soak up the affection for as long as he could. The whole situation for some reason, still didn't feel real to him.

As he limped over to Jungkook, he tried to collect himself but he felt like he was turning to mush with every step.

How was he supposed to prepare his heart to be completely alone with Jungkook in a car?

❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁❁

I feel like my writing has changed so much and not in a good way lol