Chapter 16 Summer Time Beach Time

When Kari and I got home from the hospital, we decided to go the beach the next day. So we went to bed a little early and Jake wanted to stay over too. Since my room is too small for two people to sleep in there, Kari slept on my bed and Jake and I slept on the floor in the living room next to the couch.

When I woke up the next morning, mom walked in from the front door and saw me sitting up; still groggy. She came over to me and laid down next to me. I put my arms around her neck and cuddled with her.

"Does this mean that Matt has to go?" I whisper in mom's ear.

"Only if he wants to, baby." she whisper's back.

I hear rustling over on jakes side, so I was about to roll over to see if he was ok, but he tripped and fell on mom and I.

"OW!" mom and I said laughing.

"Sorry! Oh I'm so sorry!" Jake said crawling off of us.

Matt then came out of his room refreshed; dressed and hair full of gel. He looked at mom and said, "Cool, mom's home! Mom! TK's forcing Kari to cheat on her boyfriend!"

"ok." she said getting up.

"Wait, you're not gonna do anything?"

"No, I'm not going to be involved in TK's love life."

"You're not even gonna punish him?"

"No, I mean he'll already get punished once the other guy finds out."

You could tell Matt was a little disappointed, but he'll get over it. Besides, he always does.

"Matt are you going to be leaving today?" I was disappointed too, I didn't want him to leave just yet.

"Matt can you just stay one more week? I had no idea that you were here taking care of TK and I'd love to hang out with you, too." mom begged my brother.

"Well I guess I could stay one more week." he said scratching the back of his neck.

Mom and I cheered. I hadn't heard Jake talk in a while so I looked over towards him. He was on the couch with a pillow over his head. He looked comfortable.

"Jake are you ok?" I asked him.

"No I'm confused, I'm tired and I can't remember what I just said. Is that normal?" he whined.

We didn't really answer the question, all we did was laugh at him.

Then he added, "now everyone is laughing at me." and I think he started to cry.

"Oh Jake don't cry. We're sorry. What can we do to help?" I asked him.

"Well it's just that I'm not myself when I'm tired, so please be patient with me."

"OK we will."

Just then Kari came out of my room and asked, "TK when are we going swimming?"

"Um it's eleven right now, so let's go at noon."

Jake, Kari and my mom did introductions while I got everything ready for the beach. Since we're going at noon, it would be smart to pack lunch.

I decided to pack meat sandwiches, two banana's, strawberries, gold fish crackers, an orange, left over pasta salad and pocky sticks for Kari.

"Hey, Kari are you ready?" I asked her when I was done packing.

"yeah." she smiled.

I grabbed the sunscreen and the beach towels from the bathroom and the bag that had our lunch in it. We headed out the door and catch the bus to take us to the beach.

The beach was crowded with mom's sun tanning on beach towels, dad's playing with their children, teens running around and couples making out underneath umbrellas.

Kari and I walk for a while along the beach until we finally find a large place where no one sat yet. It was on a hill next to the road, but we didn't mind.

The ocean was a beautiful turquoise blue with the sun raise glinting off the water.

I laid down both of the towels and sat down. Kari sat next to me; hugging my arm and putting her head on my shoulder. I grabbed her waist and put my head on hers.

But then, "Kari?" we heard a voice say.

It was horrible! My stomach churned, I was frozen, and I couldn't breathe or speak.

Kari gulped and said, "hey, Davis."