23- Voicemail

Nori paused her movie when she heard her phone ringing. It was 2 in the morning so she was confused as to why someone would be calling. Until she read the contact name. Liam. She quickly answered the call. "Liam?"

After a long moment of silence, Liam spoke up. "I keep seeing Berserkers. One was just in my room. Nori, I haven't slept in days. I'm scared and-and tired."

Nori softly sighed, "I would say you've got to face your fears. But not this time. You know, I'm scared of the berserkers too. And I never want to have to fight one again. But Liam, there's going to be a time when we will have to." Nori said.

"I know. That's what I'm scared of. They are so much stronger and faster than us. I don't stand a chance."

"Then you'll die." Nori bluntly said.

"What?"

"If that's your mindset then you'll die. Deaton once told me, to believe in yourself. So I'm passing that down to you, Liam. You're in the safety of your bedroom as of right now. You have a true alpha, a fricken werecoyote, banshee, and two kitsunes looking out for you."

There was a long silence before Liam spoke up. "Thanks, Nori. Can we talk about something else?"

"Right lets distract that brain. Are you straight?" Nori asked.

"What?" Liam quickly asked.

"Sorry, that was impulsive."

"Well, I think so." Liam hesitated. "Are you?"

Nori didn't respond. "Nori?"

"Yeah of course I am." Nori answered, trying to hide her feelings.

"Why'd you ask?"

"Because it caught you off guard." Nori said.

The two talked on the phone for a long time, mostly just Nori venting about the movie she was watching, school and her mom. Soon after Liam fell asleep on the call.

*

Nori sat by Kira in Coach's class. Lydia and Malia sitting in front of them. "Lydia! Did you hear me? Look. I passed." Malia whisper shouted, holding her test grade up. Malia smiled brightly, and Nori found herself admiring her. The way she lit up.

"C-minus." Lydia said pretending to be impressed.

"Proud of you Malia!" Nori said giving her a thumbs up.

"Your notes are great when they're not written in code." Malia turned to look at her desk when another test paper is slammed on it. "Disappointed, Malia. Profoundly disappointed." Coach said.

Malia slowly looks at Lydia, "I'll send you my notes."

"I can help you study." Nori suggested. Malia glanced at her and then towards her test.

"Did I randomly die and I'm not actually here right now?" Nori asked Kira. "Hear you loud and clear Nori. I think she's just mad at you." Kira said pointing out the not so obvious fact.

"I've done nothing wrong." Nori thought to herself.

Once the bell rang Nori got up with Kira and when they split up to go to their class. Nori shouted after her, "Don't die out there!" Nori turned around and kept walking to her next class.

"Nori!" Scott called out, jogging to catch up with Nori. "Can I ask you something?"

"You just did." Nori smiled.

"About Kira." Scott finished.

"She's my sister."

"Yeah, I needed to ask if she likes surprise dates? Does she find them weird, or...corny?" Scott stressed.