Hellgate

They were getting nearer and nearer by the second, and she knew that from the boats surrounding them. All this for a show.
Of course, Sturmhond didn't stop speaking, but continued to ask questions and tell her anything about him even if she did not ask.
As he spoke she ruffled through the bag that was on the boat finding a wire and a net, she held thrm in each hand remembering the old days.
She never used the net, it's an acrobat thing that Inej and Inara had in common.

The net promised to catch you when you feel, but it's like promising you'll fall.
She placed the wire inside the bag and took the net out, keeping it under her seat, Sturmhond eyed her suspiciously "We need the net".
"What for you? You don't have to do the crossing, it's my job".

"Not for me, for you, Vensik. You'll break your bones if you fall, you know that right?"
She gave a 'you really thought I didn't know that?' look.

"I don't use the net, it only promises your fall".
She really had enough fo being around men.

She grabbed a mask and handed it to him, "We're here".

They arrived ashore, many people did.
They got off the boat and Sturmhond made sure he had the paper with him, they both wore black and red masks and cloaks.
They both stayed near one another as they approached the guards and haded them the paper.
The guard took his time to read the paper, Inara's heart pounded in her chest, but it quieted down as the man let her and Sturmhond through.
They followed the crowd into the darkness of the prison, she had her back beneath the cloak, the crowd was getting bigger and bigger, Sturmhond unexpectedly held onto her wrist as they walked, even if it was dark, Inara looked around as she walked.
She thought about how the woman didn't tell them how to get out, no plan, nothing. Just to get her son out.
Not even a small description or name.

She saw a light slowly getting bigger and bigger as they enter a room with a big cage in the middle, both if them stood on a staircase, able to see the cage.
She felt something around her wrist and saw Sturmhond's hand still there, she didn't know what to do but slowly moving it until he let go of her, clearing his throat.
She escaped the Menagerie and looked where it lead her to, she almost snorted to herself.
Oh, saints. I feel hideous. Who does what I do, I should be elsewhere, with Inej probably.
Everyone was chattering and whispering, or betting.
The masks were still on their faces, she did not get an explenation og what the Hellshow was, was it animals fighting one another? Prisoners fighting one another, perhaps?
Nothing was happening so she thought of a plan.
Sturmhond would go fetch the boat and go around the prison, Inara would use the wire to get to the other tower with the prisoner and then she would think of a way to get down. But not now, definitely not now. Sturmhond elbowed her gently before speaking, not looking at her but at the 'ring'.
"It's starting."
Everyone cheered by yelling and clapping.
This might be nice, then.
She thought so confidently.
A shirtless prisoner stepped inside the ring, his chest and beared shaved, he just had trousers on, no shoes.
His hair looked dark, but that was all Inara could catch from where she stood.
Everyone cheered once again ,louder when the door to the ring opened revealing a giant lizard.
It's easy to defeat she thought cluelessly.
Liquid was spilled from it's mouth, the prisoner looked hopeless, he didn't know what to do so he tried to run to where he entered but couldn't open the door, terror filled his eyes as the creature approached him, slowly, without rush as if it knew it could take him down very, very easily.
The lizard went for the darker haired prisoner, a loud scream escaped his lips as he fell to the ground with a loud thud.
Everyone in the room booed him and sounded disappointed enough for Sturmhond to speak "The prisoner got killed, why all this disappointment?"
Inara did not know whether he was asking her tagt question or now but she answered "I think they wanted to see a fight".

Knowing this was the first 'scene' she tapped him once "It's time to go".
She heard him whisper an ok before following her, trying not to seem suspicious, as they were about to walk further he grabbed her arm causing her to stop and to turn around "We don't have a plan".

"I do"

"Care to share it with me, Vensik?"

"You stay here, at the end of the show fetch the boat, I will go find Jahaza's son from the other tower, take the boat and turn around to the prisoner's tower, he will cross the wire with m-"

"How is he supposed to cross that thin wire?"
"I was thinking about just jumping off the tower and into the water" herself she didn't know if she was serious or not, but it was a good option, as long as they were far away from the rocks, they would not break their skulls.
"No"
"You have a better plan?"

"Indeed I do, Vensik. We go together," he pointed at her and himself before continuing his plan but then thought of the wire and boat and stood there silent.
"That's your plan? What about the crossing? The boat? Oh, Saints help me" he pressed the palm of her hands to her eyes before looking at him standing there.

"We could always figure it out later".
"Do ever take things seriously, Sturmhond?"

"Always, Vensik".
He was going to get her killed, she was sure of that.
"Let's stick to my plan, alright?"

"What about the guards?" He asked. Did he really underestimate her that much?
She shook her head "I can handle them".
"So I am just useless?"
"No, I need you to fetch the boat and turn to the other side at the end of the show".

"Remember where you can find her son?"

She gave him an incredulous look "Cell 78, prisoner tower, second floor, trust me Stermhond I am everything but dumb and forgetful."
By the word she spoke he just kept stepping closer to her until she had to look up to face him, "I'll see you then, Vensik".

As he left and she walked silently in the darkness she could not deny the fastly beating heart of hers.
He irritated her, he really thought he knew everything? And also, how coudk he underestimate her that much? Oh, how much she missed Inej.

Nothing echoed in the dark halls as she made her way up the stone stairs.
There were no guards thankfully, so she just thought of her new beginning after this but then she stopped in her tracks at one thought of hers. What if her son is dead? Would she still pay her and Sturmhond the money she promised?
No, she will her her money and freedom permanently.

These sure were a lot of stairs tagt came with a lot of thinking, only Inej knew about Inara's powers.
Only her, she supposed Inej told Kaz to help her get Inara out, she did not understand why.
Now, only three people know about her, four including her.
No one taught her how to use her powers, because  she found out late.
Could I really help in tearing down the fold with whoever is the Sun Summoner?
That is if the Sun Summoner is alive or still not born.

Strangely there were no guards around and reached the top of the tower.
Breath got stuck in her throat as she saw the distance from this tower to the other, there was no wind which was perfect.
She wore her leather slippers and took out the wire, analising where it could be stable enough.
She threw it her hand gripping the end of it, she heard a faint click and knew the wire was successfully attached to something, she lowered herself and attached the other end of the wire on the rock attached to the ground.
Let's hope this holds me.
The bag was empty, she held on boot with her right hand, and other boot with her left hand.
She took in a deep breath before placing her left foot on the wire, nostalgia hit her hard, she missed those days.
She placed one foot in front of the other, without losing balance, she was slow in the beginning but moved faster as she re-adapted.
Once she was on the other tower she tried to keep herself from smiling but couldn't so she let herself do that, she wondered what her mama and baba would think of her, would they be smiling at her? Or would they be disappointed?
She placed her leather slippers inside her empty pocket and immediately put her boots on.

She hoped the boy was alive.