The Announcement

Inara stood there, looking down at people walking around, she has not talked to anyone since the disgusting encounter with Vasily, she has learnt to express a specific kind of hatred for men like him.

"Enjoying the view?" she heard from besides her and turned her head to find Mal looking down.
She took a deep breath in before turning her head away.
She shrugged "It's the only view".
"Interesting"

"I know".

There was a slight moment of silence before he spoke "Doesn't it bother you?"

People really are meant to steal someone's moment of silence.

"What?"
"The marriage".
Inara looked up "Why would it bother me?" Mal looked at her and thought she was careless or really had no kind of relationship with Nikolai Lantsov, he shook his head.
"I-, I love Alina. So of course it bothers me that she's going to marry someone that isn't me. Marriage isn't a joke.
I thought it bothered you because you had something going on with Nikolai Lantsov" he said slowly and waited for her response and since she didn't say a word he spoke again.

"Couldn't he ask you, The Moon Summoner?"

"Whether I had something with Nikolai or not. It wouldn't matter.
Alina is the Sun Summoner. She is admired. She is a Saint.
And I am the Moon Summoner, no matter what I do people will only rely their thoughts and opinions on words written and said years ago.
So that is why, he proposed to Alina knowing he would save Ravka . "

Mal nodded and leaned dangerously forward looking down at the people below half of his body not supported by anything.
" If you keep leaning like that you'll fall and I won't be able to help you, Mal" Inara said casually and stood straight, Mal immediately backed away and nodded "Right" he muttered and stood straight.

"I mean, we're in the same position" Mal informed Inara as he looked around and then stopped to look at her, and when she gave him a confused look he spoke once again.
"But I think you're ignoring that the people we love are betrothed to one another".
Inara smiled, although she did not disagree.

"I'm not ignoring, Mal. I'm just trying." Inara admitted with a small smile on her face.
"Trying what?" he asked.

"I'm just trying to keep my soul away so that is doesn't cling to something that loves today and goes away some day near tomorrow".

"I must admit, Inara. You're a poet" he laughed.
"Tolya would be proud of me" she laughed at her own words. 

"I completely agree with you".

꧁꧂

It was evening, dinner time.
Inara sat opposite to Mal and she couldn't help but notice a girl dressed in a blue kefta with wavy hair staring at her.
But these weren't the only pair of eyes she felt on her, while Inara looked to her right. Alina sat near Nikolai, Inara realized she hasn't spoken to him since last night.
Did he regret his actions? His words?

And then she heard his voice. She turned around.
"Today marks the start of a new era of cooperation between Lantsovs and the Grisha. I'm delighted to announce my engagement to Alina Starkov," both Mal and Inara shared a look before glancing at Nikolai.
"the Sun Summoner and new leader of the Second Army. Together we will build a better future for Ravka. New Ravka" he finished his speech and when his eyes landed on her, she was not looking at him.
Inara heard Tolya hit the table from besides her and yet she could see that Mal could not hide the pain he felt.
"That's a lot to take on" a boy she did not know the name of said.

"She can handle it".

"Summoning light doesn't make one qualified to run a military campaign. She's been a Grisha for less than a year" the girl who has been glancing at Inara said .
Inara stared at the wine in her glass, not bothering to drink it as she listened to the conversation quietly.
"So you won't follow her?"