The Compass

"The blade in Ahmrat Jen is indeed a replica. The original was stolen long ago. I suspect it's never left Shu Han. If it turned up in the wider black market, Sturmhond would've heard about it." Inara stood besides Tokya and listened to what Nikolai had to say about the famous blade.

" This could be the only weapon able to kill Kirigan's shadow creatures. We need to find it ".
Nikolai moved from his position.
" It's a valuable old sword, sure. That doesn't mean the story behind is true".
Many things turned out to be true thinking they weren't, many famous myths written were told and told, thinking they were only mere stories.
Turns out many were true.

"Any chance is better than no chance" Mal implied staring at turned figure. Inara waited patiently for Nikolai to say something significant.
"That's a very Sturmhond thing to say" Nikolai grinned turning around "Were he here, he would surely commend you".

"It's a little bit unsettling how you talk about him like he's someone else" Mal spoke honestly.
"And he would suggest that our mutual friends in Ketterdam might be the perfect crew for the job" Nikolai suggested.
Inara hasn't been in Ketterdam for so long she barely thought of the city, her mind traveled back to the last time she saw Inej and maybe, she would see her again, she hoped so.
She wondered if Inej ever though of her, their little time together once arrived to Ketterdam the first time.
Did she remember their childhood together?

Inara was not sure yet if she would go back to Ketterdam, she was not a fan of the city but for Inej she would go.

꧁꧂

Turns out, Inara's going to Ketterdam.

"Thick as thieves, the Crows".

"Clever too"

"Way too clever for my liking, especially Kaz Brekker" Inara said and Mal spoke after "Managed to cross the Fold on some sort of fortified train".

"Last time I was in Ketterdam, I didn't get to stop at the Kooperom for an omelet." said Tolya with a smile and his sister spoke "Oh. So that's why you volunteered. Without me, who'll stop you from following your stomach off the edge of a cliff?"

Inara smiled as she checked her daggers in her bag, then looking back up to find Zoya walking towards the four.
"I thought we were leaving at three bells?"
Inara sighed at Zoya's words and glances at the stack of book poetry on the table, Inara offered to add two in her bag but he wouldn't accept.
She asked again but shook his head so now he is left with forcing each book in.

"Tolya's trying to cram his entire poetry library into his pack"
"Poetry?" Zoya asked not believing.
"Long may the night whose-"
"No, there'll be none of that" Zoya cut him off and walked away, Tolya looked at Inara and received a pat on the back by Mal seeing his hurt expression.
Inara felt something missing as she realized she forgot her longest blade in 'her' chambers.
She closed her eyes and opened them as she spoke "I forgot something in my chambers".
"You never forget anything" she heard  Tamar say as she began walking.

"I'll meet you outside!" Ianara yelled as she exited the room and heard a "All right" from Tamar.
Inara picked up her pace, not quite remembering which stairs to take so she walked down the other hall, she hoped she wouldn't find Kirigan waiting for her in her chambers and lend her his pain because she was having enough of his stupid games, the pain was unbearable, she did not know the reasons for the dark veins appearing on her back.
The last time she checked they left marks, leaving her back with scars, marks and with a deep redness.
He always talked about wanting Inara to join him, to be more powerful.
But Inara knew he did not know that he has so much power, and that he wasted it on something as horrible as The Fold.
He has wasted it by becoming who he was.

Inara rarely ever used her powers. And she would use them only necessarily, blades and daggers were her best friends.
When she was still home, she learnt to walk the wire and perform with daggers, and she stood out performing.
Now, she blended in with most people she was surrounded with.
She saw the door to her chambers and stepped in leaving the door ajar, she first left it underneath her bed, she knelt to the ground and checked, nothing was there.
She stood up immediately, looking around, under the closet, once she opened the closet she found in there.
She let out a relieved sigh as she grabbed a hold of it.

She turned around and walked to the door just for her to step back as it was opened by no other than Nikolai Lantsov.

"Inara".

"Nikolai".

"I've heard you're joining the crew to Ketterdam" he kept his distance as he spoke. She gave him on nod and was terse "Yes".

There were a few seconds of silence and he opened his mouth, but before any words could be said by him she spoke "I must go, I forgot my blade that is why I'm here, they are waiting for me" she did not know why she felt strange. She couldn't look at him in the eyes, she walked past him and with one step outside a hand held her wrist "Don't go".
Inara way confused by his decision with his words.

Did he think of her as weak now?

"What?"

"Stay here. It's safer" he held worry on his face. His eyes said so as he looked at her in the eye.
She was not going to speak, she had nothing to say, she had nothing to lose or gain.
He took a step closer, towering her as he looked down "I can find a way".

A way for what? She thought and wanted to ask, but refused to do so.
A way to end this war? She knew that already.
A way to keep most people safe? She knew that to.

A way for them to be together?

Inara gave him a gentle smile, and pushed his hair away from his face delicately "You won't lose me, Nikolai".

Without a word he took off something from around his neck, his compass, and gently slipped it around Inara's neck, she looked up at him, and he looked down at her.
He wished to say more, to say anything at all, but words had escaped his mind temporarily now that she was near him. And she already slipped away from his grasp and walked away, and she wished to say more, but had no words or time for it knowing many things await her in a few days.
She wondered what would this had been if she wasn't who she was. Would she even be here?
Would she even know him?
Maybe not, but she is here and does know him, and even if, even if they wouldn't get the ending they longed and yearned for, Inara would be grateful for every shared look, for there was nothing left to say.
For he, who had given her his compass, he would not forget her.
For he, who trusted her since the first day they encountered, he would trust her this day, and the days that await both of them.
And yet it seemed her past awaited her each day, living inside of her, waiting for her, but, was it really what she wanted?
And Nikolai's future awaited him, a king. The King of Ravka, and beside him stood Alina Starkov, the Sun Summoner. Praised and loved by the people of Ravka, soon to be the bride of a king.
But what was she?

It was for the better . Both of them knew that.

----

(I'll try to update as soon as I can, sorry for the long wait)