The Neshyenyer

Inara first believed the trip would be brief, but Tolya's poetry and Zoya's pacing back and forth made it feel like a lifetime.
She had not encountered the Darkling and though she overthought about a sudden presence of him she had not seen him, nor has he tried to reach her hearing.
She knew as soon as they got to Ketterdam they would need to find Kaz Brekker and company, and even if he was not the best of people, he was the best to make deals with, or, make heists.
She would see Inej once again and maybe that was what made her heart feel at ease , her old friend Inej, oh how she missed her.

And with more poetry and pacing they arrived to Ketterdam.

They walked around until they reached where they must have reached, and as soon as the three stepped into the place they spotted who they needed to.
Kaz Brekker.
"That's him" Inara said, looking at the man in question, as soon as Kaz moved him gaze, his eyes landed on her, recognizing Inara after all this time.
"That's him?" questioned Tolya.
The three moved forward and as if Kaz knew, he did to making his way to them.
They gave him the letter and took his time reading it before looking up, at them, at the table besides them and he walked away and time by time, everyone they needed surrounded the the table as Kaz still held onto the letter, and a girl named Nina spoke after Zoya explained the situation.
"The Neshyenyer? Santa Neyar's blade?"

"So, you haven't completely forgotten what you were taught at the Little Palace. Just your loyalty to Ravka" Zoya added.
"Ravka? Or Kirigan? It didn't take him destroying a city for me to question my loyalty" Nina talked back.

"So, now that we all know that you two have history, what's the payment for this job?" Jesper asked staring at the three.

"Name your price, it matters that much" Tolya implied.
"Is that the Lantsov crest?" asked the young boy whom Inara has never seen before, but guessed his name was Wylan as she heard Jesper call him that way.
"You know it is because it's hideous"

"Prince Nikolai requests your services to retrieve and deliver the Neshyenyer to Alina Starkov in East Ravka".

"She's returned?"

"As has the Darkling" added Inara.
"With an indestructible army of shadow monsters".

"I do not like the sound of that".
"Neither do I" Inara muttered.
"She needs the blade to kill them. It's the only thing that might work".

"Retrieve the blade and the Prince will pay what you ask."

"But I like the sound of that" Jesper said, before taking a sip of his liquor. Zoya then looked at the complex man and implied "I assume the same goes for you?" and Kaz responded with his usual serious face than never falls "I'd welcome the chance to help your prince spend his country's money". Inara sighed and muttered to herself possessing the knowledge that she might hear her words "You'd welcome every chance to help people spend their money on you" he glanced at her and raised his eyebrows, she looked away normally and gazed at Nina who admitted that she did not wish for money but for something that Inara was quite acquainted with "I don't need kruge. I need to get someone out of Hellgate. The Lantstovs must be able to pull strings with the Kerch government" they way Nina spoke made Inara feel sympathy toward the woman whose face held fear for whoever was in that prison and as much as she could offer to go, she couldn't. "I might know someone" muttered Kaz and eyes Inara who glared at him remembering the nice things Inej had told her about him. 

"For a certain Fjerdan?" asked Zoya with a smile as she pulled her elbows off the table and spoke again "He must be quite the slab of fur".

"The offer is the offer. Prince Nikolai is a man of his word" said Tolya and then Inara added "But we must go now". The four who were in front of them shared a look before Kaz glanced back the them and informed "It's settled".

"We're in".

"Inej?" asked Inara, longing to see the girl who has accompanied her her whole life.

"We were expecting to see her" Zoya confessed.

But Inara noticed a certain look on Kaz's face as soon as he heard her name, as if it hit his heart. He looked away and declared "She's gone". "No she's not. Not ye, she's-" began Jesper but Kaz scolded him and interrupted him "Not an option" the man gave him a stern look, and Inara felt her heart ache a bit with disappointment. Inara hadn't expected to be still there as she leaned on the counter, sipping water and waiting for something to happen.
Tolya made the time feel briefer as he took out a small poetry book and Zoya scoffed and looked away.
Inara couldn't wander around, so, when he heard steps she thought it was Inej, but unfortunately it wasn't.
Kaz came with him cane as as informed the three "The Neshyenyer at Ahmrat Jen is definitely fake".
"Which we told you. Perhaps you tell us something we didn't know?" Zoya said angrily.
"According to my contacts, it's been stolen by a thief known as The Disciple. He has a penchant for stealing Saint-related relics while on jobs" he continued.
"So he's a thief and a collector?" asked Wylan "And retired" added Kaz.
"But he has since put a few pieces of his presumed  collection on the back market".

"So, to get to him, we go to his fence" said Tolya.
"Ohval Saran. She had a tea shop in Bhez ju. To speak with her, we have to order yellow chrysanthemum tea, off-menu" Kaz told them and the girl, Nina spoke in Shu and Tolya chuckled at her words amazed and spoke back, Inara not understanding such language tried to figure out what he was saying but then the girl spoke in a language all understood "Let's discuss. Tell me more" she then walked away with a laughing Tolya. And both, Inara and Zoya shared a weirded look on their faces.
And Inara was about to ask for Inej, she knew she wouldn't get the answer she wanted so she decided against it.
She saw Kaz walked towards her and then she heard a familiar voice, "Inara?" Inara turned right and saw the face she yearned to see for so long.
Inara smiled when she saw her and walked towards her as Inej didn't waste a moment before wrapping her arms around her friend tightly "Inej" the girl muttered as both held one another.
And when both broke apart Inej spoke "I missed you so much, Inara".
"Me too, it's been so long".
"Aw, what a lovely reunion between two lost friends" said Jesper from behind, Inara shot him a look and Kaz spoke "I see you couldn't help yourself, Jes," Kaz gave Jnara a look and she understood she had to step away and not listen to what he was saying, but she did anyways taking a few steps back and listening.
"You have your freedom. Why would this be what you choose to do with it?"
"I'm not here for you" she said sternly.
"I'm here for Sankta Alina and for Inara".
"So much for, 'What happens to Saints is fate,'".
"I'll secure my own passport" Inej said and joined Inara as both walked away.
Inara did not understand, she sensed something between the two, the way his face softened when her name was mentioned earlier and when he saw her.
As if, she was what saved him. As if she was his saint, the only thing he had believed in. And the only thing he will ever believe in. In her, and in her only.
Inej asked so many questions, Inara had to stop her and start from the beginning. She hadn't told her about Kaz's knowledge about her being in danger sending her to the woman he sent her to that ended up being a trap, so she skipped that part and told her about the seas she had sailed on and the people she had helped.

"And I have made a certain acquaintance," she said and Inej tilted her head as Inara spoke about him.