BYTE

[BOOTING UP. PLEASE WAIT.]
...

...

...

[SUCCESS.]

A crowd of five or so people are standing around me. Why..? I haven't done anything wrong, right? Based on my memories... I haven't done anything at all, actually. Everything around me makes sense for some reason, but I can't actually... Understand it. What even is this place? Why am I not terrified? I know I should be. I have no clue where or who or even what I am. Quiet, yet excited voices surround me.

"It worked... Can't believe it!... hope it doesn't break like the last one... So what do we call it?... Okay, everyone, calm down..."

I look at my hands. They look... Wrong. Made of metal, more like claws than real hands like the ones belonging to the people around me. I must not be like them. That's okay for now. An older-looking person speaks to me a little too loudly.

"Speak to me, Byte. You should be able to do that, right? Say something. Anything. First test."

So my name is Byte..? If this is a test of some kind, I don't want to fail. "Um... Hi?" He writes something down and looks at me in the eyes with curiosity. Or... Do I even have eyes..? I can see, but I don't feel like I have a face of any sort. I have a screen or something instead... I think...

It's something to figure out later

It's something to figure out later. I have to figure out a way to deal with the staring. More people are looking at me now... I hate all this attention and-

"So, Byte, you look nervous. Of course, this is the proper reaction. But you are not even in a bad situation right now. What is wrong?"

I freeze. Who is this person, who knows how I feel, yet knows nothing at all, and seems both friendly and untrustworthy at the same time..? "Oh. Who are you? I don't know you. I don't know me either, actually. You can see how that would be distressing, yes? I feel a bit uncomfortable, is all."

He looks confused for a moment. Muttering under his breath. 'We didn't code it to get nervous so easily...' I think he didn't mean for me to hear it, but the statement hurt. And it made me more afraid, as well. If I were broken in some way, I have no idea what would become of me. Most likely, they'd try to fix me, but on the off chance that they decide to just scrap the project...

"Sorry. Uh... Doctor..." I glance quickly at the man's name tag. "...Dr. Emerald? That's your name, right? Ah, I didn't... Sorry. Nevermind. Sorry." I look at the ground, peeking at Dr. Emerald's slightly confused and disappointed face occasionally, hoping if I wait long enough he'll leave me alone, but obviously that's not his job, and he just asks me a bunch of questions, like: how do you feel, do you know who you are, do you know your purpose here, what year is it to your knowledge, do these basic math problems, do these advanced math problems, and so on, trying to test how smart I am like a schoolchild or something. Trying to see if I was worth his time. Trying to see if I am worth anything at all. Finally, he leaves the room. He has written a lot on his little notepad. And I hope at least some of it is good.