BYTE

Why, oh, why must I be built this way?

I can barely move my legs in this ridiculous mud, and I feel like one misplaced raindrop could send me into an electric, explosive death. And that wouldn't be fun for anyone nearby.

Especially not me.

"Um, Ha- er, Jay, could you please hack the gate a little faster..? I'm not fully waterproof."

May looks at me with confusion, opens her mouth to speak, seems to remember something, and decides not to say anything after all.

Peculiar things, they are. One minute they want to throw me in a pit of flames because I was too emotional or something, the next minute they're risking their lives for me. I mean, they could totally get themselves incinerated doing something like this, saving my tail. I mean, really, what could be going through their minds right now...

I'm busy thinking about whether or not jumbles of ones and zeroes would mean anything to a human when I look around and see that Jay is doing a terrible job at hacking something.

"Do you need anything? I might be able to help you. Most things around here are powered by AI, so I might be a little knowledgeable about this. I mean, I might not. I've never tried this before. But I think it'll work, and there's a first time for everything, right?"

I get some odd looks and realize that I never explained my plan.

"I'm gonna talk to... The fence. I know it sounds weird but you gotta trust me."

More weird looks. They'll never understand...

Fine. I'll do it myself!