JAY

My legs hurt already. I ran out of the door with Tony, but I don't think any of us really had a plan. There are already some people outside who think the fire alarm is the real deal and are trying to leave the building. Little do they know, they're standing out here in the rain for no good reason.

"If they see us, we'll get fired!"

"And if they see that robot...
It'll get fire fired.
As in... As in, incinerated."

"Tried doing a play on words there. It didn't... It didn't work."

"Let's just run quickly, okay?"

I always try to make myself seem smart. I can think quickly in bad situations, but I can't think clearly, so I just end up coming up with more bad ideas than usual.

Actually, maybe I should just not do that...

"You really are an idiot, aren't you?"
Tony. That bully, Tony. I only stick with him because he was the first person (and one of the only people) to talk to me when I started working here a few weeks ago. And, of course, that he blackmails me with evidence of me "hacking" the tech here. In reality, I had only been upgrading them- but of course, Tony doesn't know that, and the supervisors wouldn't care.

"Hey, Hawk. You zoned out. Again. Keep running or I'll just leave you behind, you hear me?"

He thinks he's so smart. So powerful. Well, he isn't. He's only been working here for 2 years. Of course, that's longer than most employees can stand working here for... But his bullying has considerably lowered the employee retention rate.

I keep running after taking a quick glance behind me to see May running like the wind and Byte struggling to keep good footing on the soggy grass. Eventually, they both get caught up and with some help, Byte figures out how to run quickly even in the muddy ground.

Eventually we make our way to the fence. That dreaded fence. The electrified, barbed fence of doom and sadness that only has one gate leading out of it and requires the I.D. of everyone in the group to pass.

The easily hackable fence.