BYTE

Why do they not give me a chance? They bring me here with no idea what's going on and deem me a failure at the first sign of fear? I thought the point of this was to develop a realistic AI! Did they make me too real..? Is that a thing? I wonder all this as I move towards what is probably my doom. After they shut me off I had been asleep for a really long time and as soon as I woke up, I was told to just follow the leader to wherever it is we're going now. Based on what AI heard before, they're going to murder me. So that's just wonderful, isn't it?

I walk down a long hallway and see a glowing red EXIT sign with an arrow leading in the opposite direction we are going. Exit, leaving, escape, freedom, a life of my own... I wonder what would happen if I crushed the remote control. Either I would die immediately... Or it would have no effect on me anymore. It's the first step towards successfully reaching that exit door... Or the first step towards ensuring my own death.

Am I willing to risk that..?

I see the remote in the side pocket of the leading scientist's jacket. It's now or never, right..? I dive forward and, reaching for the remote, I crush it into shards of plastic and sparks.

I'm... Not dead! Yes, it worked! Hah! I turn around quickly and race down the hall, trying not to push anyone over as an alarm sounds signaling security officers of my escape. I talk half to myself and half to the people following me. "Oh, come on! You wanted to get rid of me anyway! Is it not easier if I leave on my own?"

My feet clank loudly on the ground as I run, getting annoying very quickly, but eventually I make my way to the exit. Fire alarms sound as I push open the door and I panic as the barrage of loud sounds seem to fill the area. Shouts of angry guards and scientists are also permeating the air.

I run through the door to see a parking lot with more cars than I had ever seen, although that wasn't saying much, and trees scattered about in beautiful shades of yellowish green. The grass was covered in dew since it seemed to be early morning, and I was about to stop and take in the sight of it all when I remembered my situation.

I tried to keep running but the area was unfamiliar to me and the people here knew this place like the back of their hand. I also was having difficulty scaling the fence, as it was heavily guarded and I couldn't got past them. I kept trying to escape, but eventually I had been surrounded...