MAY

As byte and Tony figure out their situations, I have my own little end of the world while blocking the door. This "Hawk" guy really knows how to push buttons.

Literally and figuratively.

He seemed to have gotten tired of annoying me half to death and now he's hacking the door. It would be impressive, if this were an automated door like the rest of the ones in the building. But since no one ever goes in here, no one saw fit to upgrade the storage room door, and so Hawk was sitting on the ground behind some old, half-rotten crates with his computer plugged into a socket near the door thinking what he's doing is going to help him escape.

"You do realize this is a manual door, right? You turn the handle and it opens."

Hawk glares at me. "I know that, Month."

Month? My name is May-
Oh. Right. May is a month...

"I'm not hacking the door, I'm hacking the lights. Somebody broke the switch in here and I can't turn them on."

So he really does know what he's doing.

"Sorry. Kinda thought you were a total moron there for a minute, but you really do know your way around this."

He looks at me angrily as if to say, "Of course I do. Idiot."

Well, that introduction went wonderfully.

"So... Hawk..."

"Don't call me that." He scoffs.

"Well, what's your real name? What do I call you?"

"...Jay," he mumbles.

"Wait, so you want to keep you name- a bird- instead of your nickname, which is a cooler bird?"

"Tony gave me the nickname Hawk because I can't see well." He taps his glasses at the end of the sentence for emphasis. "It's supposed to be ironic. I find it quite annoying." He rolls his eyes and gets back to his "hacking."

I shut my eyes just in time for when the lights come on. Tony, however, does not, and he yelps as the brightness of the room suddenly changes.

"Warn me next time, Hawk! Jeez..." I can hear Tony continue mumbling to himself across the room, and Byte does its weird beeping/laughing noise as it watches Tony suffer. "Heh. That'll teach you not to poke me," it says.

Byte and Tony start arguing, although Byte seems to be enjoying it a bit more than Tony is, and I walk over to the newly revealed emergency exit across the room.

"Guys, I think this might be the way out of here!"

I look closer at the fire exit. "An alarm will sound if we open the door, so we need a solid plan and-"

And then Tony pushes open the door and runs outside, with Hawk following suit.