Chapter 4

Percy, Sally and Paul were lounging on the couch.

Paul was telling them about his adventures in college. Percy found herself more amused than she had been in a long time. Not only was he handsome and smart, but also had a rebel side to him.

They were interrupted by a knock on the front door.

"I'll get it," Percy told her parents.

She opened the door to find Damon, dressed all in black.

"Well, hello," she greeted him. "What brings you here?" she asked in a mock-formal way.

"Why I'm here to ask if you wanted to go with me to the carnival," he replied.

"Confident on my answer being a yes, aren't you?" Percy sassed.

"Always," answered Damon confidently.

Percy put one finger to her chin, as if deep in thought. "I'll have to think about that. I'll let you know tomorrow."

"But the carnival is tonight," Damon pouted.

"I know," laughed the raven-haired girl. "I just wanted to know how sincere you were about taking me to the carnival."

"So you'll come?" Damon asked hopefully.

"Hmm," Percy pretended to think again. Off his glare, she agreed to go with him.

"Come in," she invited. "I'll be right back."

Damon entered and was instantly greeted enthusiastically by her mother.

"Mrs. Jackson, so nice to see you again," said Damon to Sally.

"Good to see you too, Damon," said the older woman. (Not older than Damon, obviously.) "This is my husband Paul Blofis."

"Hello, Mr. Blofis," said Damon, holding out his hand for Paul to shake.

"Nice to meet you," said Paul, shaking his hand.

"I'm here," announced Percy, coming down the stairs. "Shall we go?"

"Yes, finally," sighed Damon. "I was afraid you'd been swallowed by a black hole. You've been up there for half an hour."

"Please, it's been, like, ten minutes."

"Fine. Whatever. Come on."

"Bye, mom. Bye, Paul," called Percy as they left.

*time skip*

They reached the high school where the carnival was taking place. Percy stared around her as they got out of the car. Damon was by her side in a second, offering her his arm. He was incredibly fast, she noticed. She hesitated a second, before accepting his arm.

"Aren't you a little too old for the school carnival, Damon?" a voice called out from behind them.

They turned around to find Stefan, leaning against his car.

"Aren't you a little too young to be here alone, unsupervised?" Damon shot back.

Stefan looked at his brother without replying, then back at Percy, seemingly worried and concerned about something.

"My brother here," Damon started, "is worried I'm going to explode because someone weboth hate is back in town. And he's concerned that I've decided to take you to the carnival. He told me to get a distraction from her, and he thinks my latest obsession is you."

"Maybe we should discuss this in private." Stefan gave a pointed look towards Percy.

"It's no problem," said Percy, who hadn't missed the look the younger Salvatore had given his brother. "I'll go. I should find my parents anyway."