chapter one | ignore her

FOR WEEKS, THE only thing Y/n had heard on the news was a name she had hoped to forget. A name so powerful to her that it could change her mood in a matter of seconds. She hadn't heard the name for a few years, but now it was the only name that people would say out loud. She hated to hear that name.

She hates the person who owned that name. She was her best friend till she wasn't. The second she got famous, she never saw her friend again.

The person she trusted with her secrets and her life was gone. That was the part that killed her. She was alone and defenseless. She felt like a piece of her was missing, unable to be found. The girl she once knew was now in New York, living a life with better friends and better relationships. She was happy, and that's all that mattered to her.

Sure, when missed her friend, but she was chasing her dreams, unlike the girl working behind the counter at the local bookstore.

"I'll help you in a second, ma'am." She spoke to the customer peacefully before helping the person she was helping before. "Elvis, get out here!" She yelled at her co-worker and friend who was sitting around in the back. "I get no help around here." She spoke to herself a little too loudly.

Elvis quickly ran out to help, taking a quick second to apologize to his friend.

With his help, the store cleared out pretty quickly with only one customer left in Y/n's line. "There's not much help around here is there?" The woman spoke as she placed her items on the counter. There wasn't much help at all if she was being honest.

"No, not really. There hasn't been for years, it's pretty much always been me and Elvis." Y/n replied before turning around to help the customer. She went to pick up the items to scan and soon recognized what they were, two albums on records by the girl she once called her friend.

One of the albums was her newest, which came out a few days ago: Midnights. "These are for my daughter. She's a huge fan." She spoke, grinning at the thought of what her child's reaction might be when she received them. "It's her birthday tomorrow." She added as Y/n put everything in a bag.

"I hope she has a great birthday." Y/n sadly smiled as she accepted the payment. With the money, she was handed a business card with the woman's name, number, and email on it.

"If you need any new employees just give me a call." With that, the woman was gone. The only people left were the employees. With a now empty store, the two workers took the chance to go on a break. A well-needed break.

She was ready for the day to be over.

Music played quietly from inside the store, sales announcements being spoken between songs. People seemed to be buying anything with her former best friend's name on it. A few times she had to get Elvis to take over because of how many people bought her records or anything with her name and face on it.

The store cleared out again only for someone else to show up. She recognized the new customer, she just couldn't recall from where.

She had blonde hair and looked to be about five foot nine inches tall. Y/n could have sworn that she lived in the area at some point. Working in the Starlight bookstore came with the addition of knowing everyone in West Reading, it was already an area where everyone pretty much knew everyone give or take a few people.

The lady collected everything she needed and then made her way toward the counter. Once she was close, Y/n finally realized who she was. The one and only Andrea Swift.

Her ex-friend's mother.

"Andrea, it's good to see you." Y/n spoke as she started scanning all the items. She just bought a few books and bookmarks. "How have you been? I thought you guys were in New York."

"I'm doing great and it's good to see you too!" She replied happily as she smiled at the girl she's practically raised for most of her life. "I'm just here to visit family and support Taylor."

There was that name again. It finally hit her, if Andrea was here then she should be here too. She was probably avoiding Y/n like she was avoiding her, she wouldn't doubt it if that was the case. "Is she here?" She asked curiously, wanting to know if she had to clock out early or not.

"No, she should arrive tomorrow, I think. She's got a concert this weekend and I think you should go, it'll be fun." If they were still friends, she would agree in a heartbeat. She hated saying no to Andrea but she couldn't bear the pain that would come with seeing her face again. "I know you two aren't on great terms right now, but everyone misses you. That includes Jack and Aaron."

"I'll think about it."

"Good, I hope to see you around," Andrea spoke with a grin. She left with her things, Y/n watched her leave and then Elvis walked over.

"Was that her mom?" He asked once Andrea had left the store.

"Yeah, I loved her a lot, she was like a second mother to me," Y/n replied, soon turning to look at him only to find that he wasn't there. He had walked away. "You know, that's rude!" She yelled before letting out an annoyed sigh.

Now, she had to think about Andrea's offer.

It was closing time, 8 pm to be exact. The two workers spent a couple of hours cleaning and restocking a few things. The whole time she thought about the image of her ex-friend plastered on the record cover, it's been a while but she still can't say her name.

That name held too much power over her.

"Did you see what that lady bought earlier?" Y/n questioned, stopping the cleaning to look at her friend. He glared at her with disappointment, knowing exactly where this was going. It was a common thing for her. "I just can't escape her, her name and face are everywhere."

His facial expression went from disappointment to practically saying "Bitch, please." She knew that face all too well. "You know, you're the one that restocks the shelves," Elvis pointed out. Y/n nodded wondering where he was going with this. "You can control what goes on the shelves."

"Yeah, I guess that's true."

"You're so stupid."

Y/n took a second to stick her middle finger up at him before finishing up the restocking. She passed by the vinyl section a few times, wanting to hurry up and go home. It's been a long day and she wanted to sleep, she had work tomorrow like she always does.

They finished closing around 10:30 that night. They packed up anything they needed after turning the sign to closed. "I'm gonna go get dinner if you wanna go with me." Elvis offered as the two walked toward the door.

"Yeah, sure." She replied, the two soon making it outside. They made it a few feet down the street, thinking of what they wanted. "I think there's a Wendy's around the corner." She soon pointed out, feeling more hungry as the seconds passed. "I'm craving a baconator right now."

She turned the corner, looking for the restaurant but she was greeted by something. Not something but someone. The 5 foot 11, blonde-headed girl she once called her best friend. "Taylor?"

"I was just on my way to see you."

————————
brooke speaks!

well it's finally finished!
this chapter took longer
than i expected, hoping
for no mistakes or i'll cry :)