≈ Straighter than Parallel Parking ≈ [CampNanowrimo July 2015]

A/N: Straighter than Parallel Parking will be a story circulating around breaking gender norms and shedding light to the fact where you are allowed to be fascinated by something, regardless of your anatomy and what society tells you. This story is heavily treading around humour, but it will include a very strong moral; you're scrutinized by everyone with a critical eye every time you make a decision, no matter what. The smart thing to do will be to make sure it's a choice you're happy with.

This was my entry for Camp Nano this July 2015.

Warning: Due to compulsive writing, there may be presently a few grammatical errors (present, past tense, and correct use of apostrophe's), however, until the story is completed and/or an editor is assigned, please excuse the messy formatting. I'll try my best!

___________________________________________________

i.

JAMES RUTH is completely happy with being a 6''2, muscular guy who loves horror movies and chick flicks, salads and burgers, pink shirts and red highlights, romance books and comedy shows, and doesn't believe there's anything wrong with it.

JANICE DIABLO, on the other hand, has always been scared of being herself; being a short 5''3 tomboy most of her life with three brothers that don't really seem like mentors, you could say she wants a more feminine friend. She doesn't expect it to be in the form of James, but who  is she to question it?

When Janice begins struggling to prove her own femininity, she takes a cue from James to embrace her own identity through job offerings, PSA statements, late night hassles and all kinds of crazy dilemmas wild enough to write stories about.

Together they go on an exploration of breaking stereotypes, second-guessing society and reprogramming the DNA of gender inequality. And maybe, just maybe, learning the true definition behind the enigma of women.

Or just end up with a lot of empty wallets and parking tickets.

_______________________________________________

ii.

DEDICATED TO WHOMEVER HAS BEEN RIDICULED FOR THEIR PENCHANTS, because you should continue to obsess over whatever it is you love, because what you like matters to you, and that should be enough.

DEDICATED ALSO TO THE VERY BEAUTIFUL SERENA HOLLAND {nightsuburbs}, because she plays one of the biggest factors as to why I still write with a passion.

_______________________________________________

iii.

"I think you're more of a goddamn female than I am, James."

"Pfft, don't you know? The only thing straighter than me is my parking, Janice."

"You do know that you've gotten five parking tickets this past week alone, right?"

"Your point is?"

_______________________________________________

iv.

Copyright © 2015 by Sarena Akhter

All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the publisher except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.

___________________________________________________