≈ s e v e n ≈

{ Chapter Seven: The Ambiguous Definition of a Woman }

SUCCESSFULLY MAKING THROUGH HER EVENING WITHOUT getting a third-degree interrogation was simple. It was around nine by the time that Janice and Karlo had gotten home -- who remained silent the entire trip in guilt -- and most of the family had already finished their dinner, gotten ready for bed (or, in other words, the twins were too busy playing late night games in their rooms). Sunday's really did suck the fun out of 2AM late night stake outs, but the only bright side was that Janice had already finished her homework. Once Karlo and Janice parted ways, though Karlo swore that he would bunk with her the day after before they did, Janice got changed and crashed the minute her head hit her pillow.

Even the baby wails seemed to pale to the lifted corners of her mouth.

_________________________________________

REGRET PLANTED ITS TENDRILS AROUND JANICE AND suffocated her until she could hardly think of anything else the minute she got off at her school bus stop. The ride wasn't terrible itself, quite mellow, actually. It wasn't even as if she had the jitters for an exam or test (at, least one that she was aware of), neither did it happen to be that she was awaiting a confrontation with a fellow peer, because trust me, Janice would've been eager if that were the case.

No, it was the Madame Parker standing by the pole, her tall stature of 5"11 overshadowing most of the students scrambling off the elegant blue transport, her hawk eyes, that could either be as gentle as a mother's touch or as sharp as granite, seemed to be scanning for an individual in particular. As it would be, whom just so happened to be beside Madame, with her hair in a plait and her school uniform a size too small.

You'd think Janice would be more suspicious about meeting her headmistress, but she could almost sense, (yes, sense like freaking Spiderman can) that Madame was looking for her about something more important than paperclips and binders. Unfortunately, when Janice cleared her throat and the woman's eyes finally latched onto the short frame beside her, there wasn't any doubt lingering.

"Ms. Diablo, I was wondering where you ended up disappearing," Madame said stiffly. "Actually, if you could, I'd like to request your presence in my office after first period. I've already informed the faculty about you missing a couple classes."

"If I were to be so inclined," Janice felt her head tilt to the side, "would I be able to be let in on what could be the urgent matter at hand?" A bitter taste came out of being so polite, but Janice quickly stomped it down.

Thankfully, Madame Parker seemed to be ignorant to Janice's polite turbulence. "It is something more than important enough that I would advise you do not take lightly to miss," she said, the cryptic message left into the air for a couple beats before Madame walked off to her duties. "Come, Ms. Diablo. Your classes will not postpone for your laziness."

That made so much sense, Janice thought sarcastically, stomping behind the woman. Hell, she's more confusing than Shakespeare sonnets. Miraculously, Janice kept to herself for the remainder of the day, not even bothering to raise a hand or participate, even when she was correct.

The only answer she cared about were to arrive 45 minutes later.

___________________________________________

IT SEEMED ALMOST NO SOONER THAN THE CONFRONTATION in the morning outside, did Janice feel a sense of deja vu, which wasn't exactly embraced considering she would've done without reliving the moment. She was facing opposite, yet again, to the headmistress in her office, fidgeting with her thumbs as she awaits whatever bombshell heads her way.