≈ f o r t y - t w o ≈

A/N: this song sums up the chapter :)

{ Chapter Forty-Two: When Prince(ss) Charming Learns There's Two Sides to a Story}

THE FIRST TIME JANICE HAD BEEN SENT DOWN to the office was during the third month of her freshman year.

Already having six detentions on file and a particular nasty complaint from one hard-won teacher about her hair dye meant she had reached the limit of reasonable close calls.

On paper, Janice Diablo seemed like an average troublemaker. It wasn't far fetched to consider her short of a delinquent, with a penchant for breaking rules left and right.

Rebecca Parker, principal of the infamous all girl's private school, Montgomery St. High, had chalked up the freshman's boisterous attitude to a misplaced adoptive environment and a lack of motherly figure to solidify the concept of manners into her life. Aggressive and unladylike, unlike many other students at the school.

Nothing could have prepared Parker, however, for the smart mouth she encountered, not even the paper trail she'd read over the last couple months.

Janice fit the mental image in her head (though she was on the shorter side), with a bandaid and a bruised eye that looked tender to the touch. Her bobbed green and copper hair was tousled, as messy as the scowl on the freshman's face. Parker could tell that she was going to be a tough nut to crack when eyeing the crossed arms and slouching frame of the silent girl.

"So," Parker said, after noting these primary observations mentally, "It's nice to finally put a face to the resident troublemaker."

Janice remained silent.

Parker tried pressing more. "Ms. Diablo, you are aware of why you are inside my office today on this fine evening, are you not?"

The girl nods, barely susceptible to anyone who wasn't looking.

"Is there a reason why you're planning on giving me the silent treatment?"

Janice seemed to curl more into herself. Parker could tell that it would be a difficult time getting over the defensive walls the teenager put up. "No point. I'll still be in trouble."

"Having two girl's manhandle safety scissors usually doesn't bode well for either party," Parker said drily. Massaging the bridge of her nose, Parker propped her arms onto the desk and leaned forward. "What I'd like to know is how it got to that point."

"You've read my file, right?" Janice said, a ferocious snarl making its way on her former taut face. "Just chalk it up as another misdemeanour on my report. It'll all add up so I can escape this Godforsaken school."

"You want to leave?" Parker asked. "Is that why you keep making all this mayhem? For a reason to get cut?"

"Do you think it matters where I go?" Janice said, her fight breaking down. Her shell clamoured to crawl back upon her. "At least in public school, there's more diversity. More power. More care."

"I do not believe I understand where you are going with this," Parker said, quietly.

Snorting, the freshman loosely picked apart the stray, choppy pieces of hair. "You know why I got this? Because the other girl kept touching Anne's hair. Full-on stroking, without even asking for consent."

"Anne?" A tug at the principal's memory brings forth an image of a beautiful Black first-year girl, usually reserved and quiet. She also had special permission to break the standard hair code for her natural hair; either in dreadlocks or an afro. "How does she have anything to do with your fight with Miss. Will?"