Ch. 5: Legend's Family

August 15 | Day

The gentle tinkling of a piano filled the country club. Flowers scented the air, filling every available surface except for the one with the five-tiered cake. Twenty-five candles circled the top. Happy birthday to me. I hugged a wall, wondering when the party would be over.

Why hadn't I begged my mother to cancel this three-ring circus? Oh, yeah. Because I hadn't yet been caught on camera breaking laws when she planned it. Inner panic sterilized my usual ability to reproduce bland smiles and tepid conversation. My palms were sweaty, and I wiped them on my pants.

"Oop! Don't do that. You look nice in your cocktail attire. I'm so used to seeing you in street-wear," said my sister. I snorted a laugh. Smiling, Jenny gazed up at me as she straightened my tie and added quietly, "You know, I think it's great that, despite your social anxiety, you let Mamo put on this soiree for you."

"Yeah, great." I deadpanned. She pulled a face. "What? You know I hate being in the spotlight. And I don't have social anxiety. I have...secrets. You look amazing, by the way."

"Thank you!" Jenny always managed to look like the stockbroker's wife that she was. "Anyway, relax, baby bro. You'll be back to your fast cars and flashing lights in no time." She winked as she headed off to our table.

"What does that mean?" I called after her. Had she seen the news? "Hey, Jenny, what did you mean by that?" She kept walking, and I shut up before anyone else heard me. I briskly took my seat with the rest of my siblings, knowing that none of them carried the monstrous stress I carried, the fear of being found out.

Our mother Susan Liang circulated the room with a ready smile and a different compliment for each guest, while our father, Justin, stood aloof near the front of the hall. The party attendees were mostly their colleagues and other country club members, acquaintances they wanted to network with. My parents owned a growing furniture store empire and were always on the lookout for business opportunities, which meant lots of hobknobbing at places like this.

The country club. Old money feel. Pretentious silk wallpaper. Chevron patterned floors. The interior decor was dated but stylish like the guests that claimed membership, and what was lacking in comfort was accommodated by exclusivity. If any of the snobs found out how I spent my spare time, they would run our family out with pitchforks.

Mamo came to our table, beaming with pride. "Sorry to keep you waiting. I'm thrilled your schedules allowed you to join us celebrating." She barely spared me a glance. (No matter what I did, it was never enough.) I tugged at my collar and wished I could disappear. "I know the three of you have been busy with work," she said pointedly.

My brother Austin started bragging about his used car company, and Ted waited his turn to talk about his role at his real estate job. Mamo grinned as if her face might break. Meanwhile, I had enough drugs hidden in one of the family warehouses to pack me off for a nice extended stay at Club Fed. How did I get myself into this shit? Me and my brilliant business ideas.

"Don, how has school been treating you?" Jenny cut in. Austin glared at her for interrupting him.

Mamo answered for me, "Did I tell you Don is at the top of his class this semester?"

"Oh, that's wonderful!" Jenny exclaimed.

I flashed a tight-lipped smile.

Oh, the webs we weave. I was not at the top of my class, nor was I even in graduate school anymore. However, as far as everyone knew, I was excelling at university, getting my doctorate in a STEM-related field, and I had a pretty Chinese girlfriend. My family believed these things about me without any evidence to support it.