Ch. 11: Legend's Competition

August 16 | Day

The right hook came out of nowhere and plowed into my torso. The pain went sharp and deep, knocking me into my chair. I couldn't believe the son of a bitch had hit me! Springing to my feet, I squared off. The people under the portico scattered like ants. From the corner of my eye, I saw the store attendant grab her phone and lock the doors. Not another run-in with the cops. I groaned.

"What did you do to her?" Nixie's friend swung again.

"Whoa! I didn't do anything to her," I said as I dodged him.

"Fitz, stop!" Nixie screamed when he came at me with another reckless punch. My inner dragon exploded free in a shower of sparks. Red scales traced from my cheeks to my jugular as she tried to hold me back. "No! Legend, don't hurt him!"

"Who the fuck are you? Are you a trafficker?" Fitz shouted.

"Dude, of course not!"

"Then why wouldn't you let Nixie go?"

I grabbed Fitz by the collar of his shirt and drove him into the next table with a snarl. "I'm not a sex trafficker, and Nixie hasn't been harmed. Calm down so we can talk!" My dragon hovered over him menacingly, although the human couldn't see him.

Dex went to the convenience store doors and flashed a badge at the attendant. With wide eyes, the woman nodded and ended her call. At the sight of her badge, Fitz stopped struggling, as well, as I pressed his temple to the granite table.

Dex grabbed my shirt and yanked me away. She spun around and grabbed Fitz's arm and slung him into the nearest chair. "Básta! Both of you! Enough!" She blew out a breath.

I threw my hands up and walked away, fuming at being attacked. My heart thundered, and I huffed from exertion. Nixie collapsed into the other chair with a chagrined frown. Dex looked like she wanted to drag us both by our ears. She paced under the awning, talking to herself in rapid-fire Spanish in an attempt to cool down before dealing with us.

Meanwhile, I tried to figure out how the hell she managed to make a pair of flannel pajamas and a housecoat look so sexy, especially in a rage.

Propped against the store's side wall, I studied the interloper that Nixie had lured to Baton Rouge. My opponent sat, nursing a bruised chin. Served him right. He was about my age and about my height, but he was brawnier. An asymmetric haircut flopped dark hair across his forehead over ice blue eyes. He was handsome in a West Coast way, with his skater shorts and Chuck Taylor's. I wondered if he was the princess's boyfriend. That would explain his attitude. Fitz sized me up, and I stared right back, the dragon in me itching for another clash.

Nixie interrupted Dex's diatribe, "Listen, I called Fitz here. I'm sorry, but you can't send him away. I'll go on a hunger strike if you do."

The agent halted and gaped at her."Oh, for God's sake! How did I end up with such a goddamn bunch of drama queens? You will do no such thing, Nixie Fontenot. You'll thank me for saving this man's life when it's all said and done."

"I think he should stay," I said quietly, pulling Dex aside. I couldn't believe I was suggesting it, but we wouldn't get any cooperation out of Nixie without him.

Fitz eyed me warily. "Who are you people? Someone better tell me what's going on and why I couldn't reach Nixie all day."

"I'm already defending you," I said, holding up my hand to silence him. "Don't make me change my mind." I turned to Dex. "They're not from here, okay? This kid has nothing better to do in Louisiana than cause trouble. He'll keep looking for Nixie, and she'll keep leaving him breadcrumbs. Let's just bring him on board in a limited capacity."