Ch. 31: Nixie's Allies

September 15 | Midnight

Caution tape roped off the area of the pond where Abuela Maya's body had been found. The Crime Scene Unit carried out their investigation deep into the night. I stayed glued to the clock, chewing my nails down to the quick. For hours, we watched them poke around outside from the window in Dex's kitchen, where Legend tried to comfort us with sandwiches and beers.

But I couldn't be consoled. Fitz was in more danger with each passing second. As the cops interviewed us, unchecked fear, despair, and self-recrimination made me a basket case. I paced the checkered floor once our statements were given, begging Dex to go after Darcy and Delilah, but we couldn't access the shed for the tracker with the heavy police presence.

I knew the cops would never tie Darcy Cyprian to the murder. Nor would they consider him for Fitz's disappearance. Even in the world of humans, Darcy was a powerful corporate executive who used philanthropy to buy support. The billionaire was untouchable.

"Let's get some rest. Director Van der Woodsen will be here in the morning to ensure the Supernatural elements of this case get swept under the rug," Dex said tiredly. "Have faith, Nixie, sweetheart. OASIS will get Fitz back."

Weakened by grief and exhaustion, I couldn't argue with her. I pulled on one of Fitz's t-shirts, fell into bed with Legend and Dex, and cried myself to sleep. We wrapped each other in love, drained both physically and emotionally, and I slept like the dead.

When I awoke the next morning, however, Legend was gone.

I sat up and looked around. Dex was sitting at the edge of the mattress, staring at the open door. I got up to search the landing, but it was empty. Turning back to her, I asked, "Where's Legend?" But she shook her head, glossy-eyed.

"I thought he might run, but I wasn't certain," she mumbled quietly.

"Run? Why? Where would he go?" A shrillness crept into my voice. I stormed out of the attic bedroom and flew down the stairs, feeling like everyone I cared about was being snatched away from me. I called Legend's name from room to room until Dex caught up with me and grabbed my arm. She spun me around to face her.

"He's gone, Nixie! We failed the mission. He's gone," she snapped.

"No! He wouldn't abandon us like that!"

"Of course, he would! If he had stayed, he would soon be arrested by either Overlay City law enforcement or the New Orleans Police Department. Legend is nothing if not self-protective," Dex sighed. She covered her eyes.

I slumped against the living room wall and stared at the chaos left in Darcy and Delilah's wake. Sunlight filtered through the windows, dimmed by cloud cover. The living room was beyond repair. The cops had done nothing but cluck their tongues at the mess and call it a robbery gone wrong. Dex picked up a pair of Abuela Maya's slippers and held them to her chest. How could this be happening?

The knock at the door startled us from our stillness. Setting aside the slippers, Dex hurried to open it. "Director Van der Woodsen," she greeted the head of OASIS with a smile of relief.

"I came as soon as I could," he said.

"We've lost time. The cops kept us from getting to my computers with the tracking data for Delilah. Darcy Cyprian and his deceitful wife seem to have worked together to plant a false copy of the book. I'm pretty certain that they have the real one, and we have to get it back. They also took Nixie's friend hostage, and they...killed Abuela." She wavered on the last words.

The tall spare director took off his hat and stepped into the living room. "I'm sorry to hear that, Dr. Rodriguez," he said soberly. He left the door open behind him as he circled his Fedora in his hands. Over his shoulder, we could see trucks pulling up.