Ch. 14: Legend's Offer

August 16 | Night

Eyes glued to the security monitor, I watched Dex weave her fingers into Nixie's locs. Her tongue curled past Nixie's lips in a kiss. Brown skin to darker brown skin, the two women merged beneath the porch light where the security camera zoomed in. Dex had left me in the shed, manning her workstation. She had to know I was riveted.

"You get to see the sophistication, princess, but you have no idea about the wild side to me," Dex said to Nixie.

"What's a queen without a killer instinct?" Nixie asked.

My phone started to ring on the desk in front of me. I reflexively hit the decline button, inching toward the dual monitors to see what would happen next. No, I can't spy on them. I went to switch off the screen at the same time Dex tapped Nixie's chin and pointed at the camera.

"What's a killer instinct without self-discipline?" Dex visibly forced herself to put distance between them. However, Nixie stole another kiss, despite knowing I could be watching. With a moan, Dex succumbed to the thievery. Bless my luck.

"What is it?" I finally answered whoever was trying again to call me:

"Legend? It's David."

"Yo, I told you not to call me at this number, bro!"

"Listen, man, we've got a problem." My second in command's shaky voice penetrated my distracted brain. I perked to attention as I flipped the computer monitors to the homescreen. "Can you talk without the guards catching you?" he asked.

Like the rest of my family, David believed I was locked up, but guards, I didn't have to worry about; I was spooked at getting caught by Dex. She didn't know about the drugs. I went to the window and peered out to make sure she wasn't headed to the shed. Lowering my voice, I asked David, "What's going on? Make it quick."

"We had goons bust down the doors to the hideout tonight. They tore the place apart, bro. At first I thought it was the cops, but it was Hartfeld's people. He heard you got arrested, and he sent a message for you," David informed me. "He said he wants his money by the end of the month, no excuses. He's paranoid you'll snitch."

The blood drained from my face as I slumped on the stool at Dex's workstation. I rubbed my mouth and tried to pull myself together. "He doesn't have to worry about that. I won't mention him. Just give him the product back."

"Don't you think I tried? He doesn't want the drugs. He wants cold, hard cash. Now the guys are freaking out. They won't touch the shit without direct orders from you, and I can't keep it hidden for much longer. Between Hartfeld and the authorities, I've got too much heat on me, Legend. You've gotta do something about this, man."

"I'll think of something," I said.

"When are you getting released? Have your parents hired an attorney for you?" he asked.

"I-I gotta go," I ignored his questions.

"Legend, when are you—"

I ended the call and buried my face in my hands. My dragon crept from my chest and slid across the desk, watching me with concern. Visions of what would happen to me and my street racing brotherhood if I didn't comply with Hartfeld's demands flooded my thoughts. What the hell had I gotten myself into?

The dragon climbed and coiled around my neck to nuzzle me. I had to find a way back into my parents' good graces. If I could secure a loan from them, I could stave off the dealer until I made more from working for OASIS. Dex had promised a paycheck. But I didn't know if I could drum up enough to pay off what I owed Hartfeld by the end of the month. And what could I tell my Mamo to convince her I had turned over a new leaf and deserved money from her?