Ch. 12: Dex's Challenge

August 16 | Day

The tour bus barreling toward us honked its horn, and Legend jerked the wheel, overcorrecting. Nixie yelped from the backseat as the cinnamon-red rental SUV swerved into the right lane, narrowly avoiding another car. Abuela slid against the door and caught the grip, smiling blithely. The driver who had sped up to bypass calamity shook her fist at Legend as she zoomed past. The dragon shifter finally stabilized our ride and slowed down.

I shot him a look of frustration and alarm. "Did you forget that we're driving with an accursed object in the vehicle?" I hissed.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled.

"Keep your goddamn eyes on the road!"

"I'm sorry, but can I say something? You're so fucking beautiful when you're mad."

"Estás jugando? Flattery won't work on me if you kill me, Legend."

"I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

Once my racing heart calmed down, I had to laugh. He glanced at me and chuckled, too. "You're impossible, you know that?" I sighed. Why did I like him? He was a complete liar, he had a wandering eye, and he had a lot of growing up to do, but I liked him. I wondered if it had anything to do with the chapter of his life that I had walked in on.

Seeing the attention-starved dragon shunned by the people he loved most had been hard to watch. I understood what it was like to feel alone while surrounded by family. Our circumstances were different, but I understood. My pack had social issues that I couldn't overcome for them–mental health problems, addiction, and homelessness. It often left me feeling like a lone wolf.

I glanced in the rearview mirror and saw Nixie wistfully observing Legend and me. My suspicion that Legend's interest in her wasn't one-sided was confirmed. I turned away and stared out the window. I couldn't let myself get carried away. I needed a complicated love triangle like I needed a hole in my head. Nothing would throw off the mission worse.

Not to mention, I couldn't fix Legend. I had previously had a bad habit of latching onto people who needed a complete overhaul, as if my methodical thinking and goal-oriented mentality could be transferred to them. If I had learned nothing else from my dismal past dating life, I had definitely mastered leaving men like Legend Liang to their own messes. Women like Nixie, too. I reminded myself of the purpose of this operation–funding for my life's work.

We arrived at our destination safely, and I instructed Fitz to remain with the SUV while we went inside to handle "important FBI business." I handed him a taser and a walkie-talkie from the bag of gear I had tossed in the trunk. "Do you know how to use these?" I asked. "If anyone sketchy approaches, take them down and radio me." Fitz put on his sunglasses, got out of the vehicle, and pulled up his pants by the belt loops, scanning the area for any suspicious activity.

I restrained a smile as I motioned for Nixie to join us. She leaped out in a long-sleeved Henley shirt (covering her birthmark) and a pair of khaki shorts that revealed her attractive legs. The sunlight made her dark skin glow, and her locs cascaded over her shoulders as she looked up at the store we were entering.

"What does Numinosity mean?" she asked. Abuela explained that it was play on the word "numinous," which meant having a spiritual quality or attuned to the divine. Legend held the door open for her. Nixie walked inside, clutching her purse tightly, the top of the book peeking out.

When I stepped inside the building, it was obvious why the place was given its name. Everywhere I looked was some crystal or stone with a placard describing its spiritual meaning or purpose. There were tarot cards and oracle cards, crystal balls and scrying tools, smudging sticks and incense. Esoteric weapons were in display cases, including daggers, swords, quivers of arrows and ornately carved bows. There were cloaks, blankets, and throws for invisibility. All manner of magical items could be found in the store.