Ch. 33: Dex's Back-up

September 23 | Dawn

The textured leather of the steering wheel dug into my palms as I clutched it tightly. Over in the passenger seat, Nixie was silent, overwhelmed by the uncertainty of what lay ahead, while I sat rigidly in the driver's seat, a burning pain building between my shoulder blades. As a seasoned covert operative, I knew the princess needed me to project an air of authority, and on the outside, I appeared to have it together–-I hoped.

On the inside, my mind was racing, sadness weighed me down, and worry and despair hounded me. I could understand why Director Van der Woodsen had betrayed us. OASIS had a job to do, and taking care of its own wasn't in the job description. I could see why Legend had felt the need to go on the run, and I even appreciated that Abuela had given her life fighting for what she believed in. None of the logic made the situation any less senseless.

Thin sunlight pierced through a veil of fog, which reduced visibility but dreamily blanched the countryside. I was too distracted to appreciate the ethereal beauty. All I could think about was what we were about to do. I took a deep breath and tried to focus on the road. Detective Zyr Ravani had given us an address in Ponchatoula, Louisiana. We were almost there, although I wasn't convinced this new coalition was all we needed to finally defeat Darcy Cyprian.

I turned off on a long, narrow lane bracketed by majestic trees. An antebellum mansion rose from the fog-draped landscape like a ghost from the past. Its white columns gleamed in the pale light, and its roof was shrouded in mist. The house seemed to be waiting for us, and the air was heavy with anticipation.

As I parked the car, I stole a glance at Nixie. "We're one step closer to finding Fitz," I tried to cheer her.

"Fitz and the book," she breathed. Her shaky smile did little to mask the unease on her face.

A servant ushered us into the house and led us into a lavish dark academia office, where the only person I recognized was Detective Zyr Ravani. Standing front and center, he seemed so cocksure, with his brawny arms crossed and a wolfish fire gleaming in his eyes. I fought the urge to scoff. After everything my team had been through, coming so close to success only to fail miserably, I thought he was sadly mistaken if he believed adding a few more players to the roster would even the playing field.

Upon closer inspection, however, I saw the grim lines of determination etched into his face, the vein pulsing at his temple, and the way his eyes regularly darted to his companions as if to reassure himself that they were still by his side. In the minute details, I saw echoes of myself. Someone who had gone up against the devil and discovered that I could be singed.

Zyr shook our hands. "Welcome, Dr. Rodriguez, Princess."

My companion cleared her throat as a pretty blush suffused her brown cheeks. "Nixie will do."

"Just Dex," I said at the same time.

"Dex and Nixie." Smiling, the detective spread his hands to encompass the strangers sitting around the room. "Let me introduce you to some of the finest men, women, and nonbinary persons I know. This is my partner, Mys, our resident empath, pronouns they/them."

"Wish we could be meeting under different circumstances." The androgyne leaning against the bookshelf gave a two-finger salute and grinned wryly. Their eyes were full of compassion, as if they could see the conflicting emotions I was hiding deep down.

"And this is Aurie," said Zyr as he gestured to a young woman sitting in a wingback chair next to him. I gave her hand a firm clasp in greeting and locked eyes with her. Curls framed her fresh face, and it pinged my awareness she was hardly older than Nixie. A long skirt almost hid her prosthetic leg. When she noticed where my curious gaze was directed, her lips quirked in a half-smile.